Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-12-2012, 03:15 AM   #21 
kyasarin5

Is it still okay to use epsom salt with the api general cure?
kyasarin5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 03:28 AM   #22 
mursey

Location: formerly SF, then Tucson AZ, now central New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyasarin5 View Post
Who is the fish in your avatar photo mursey? He is very pretty!

Oh thank you! He is Purplius LeGrape (I give all my fish ridiculous first and last names). Believe it or not, I stumbled upon him at a local pet store that looked pretty dirty and run down. They didn't even know he should be more money than a veitail. They charged me $2.99 for him. All their fish tanks looked disgusting but they had a few interesting bettas. So weird!

Last edited by mursey; 08-12-2012 at 03:28 AM. Reason: spelling
mursey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 03:30 AM   #23 
kyasarin5

wow! i have never seen a marble crowntail betta before!

they have really cute names!

Last edited by kyasarin5; 08-12-2012 at 03:32 AM.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:26 AM   #24 
Sakura8

Yes, it's okay to use the epsom salt with the General Cure. :)
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:00 AM   #25 
Basement Bettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyasarin5 View Post
I put Alpha in a 5 gallon hospital tank this morning. I added 1 tsp per gallon of epsom salt before putting Alpha in. I slowly brought temp up from 84 to 86 degrees. I fed him 3 room temp dethawed frozen brine shrimp. I also added Maracyn II this morning. Tonight I added Maracyn I and now I am slowly adding more epsom salt so it will be a total of 2 tsp per gallon. No poop today. :( He is a little bit more bloated. I shined a light at his belly and it looks like it is filled with clear fluid. :( What do you think? Any advice you could give me I will be grateful for. I don't want to lose him. I love Alpha. I am worried that I could have caused kidney failure from using 1 tbsp of aquarium salt per 5 gallons the first 6 months I had him. I didn't know it would cause organ damage until now.
What is the maracyn for? Not internal parasites..
Basement Bettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:02 AM   #26 
Basement Bettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
Hi kyasarin. Alpha sure is a handsome boy. He doesn't look too bloated in the video so I think we can easily treat him for his internal parasites.

First, let's go ahead and stop the Maracyn combo for now. Maracyn I and II are both antibiotics and won't have an effect on his parasite problem. Also, both Maracyns can cause additional kidney damage so it's best not to use them unless absolutely necessary.

Give him one day of water with no medicines and just epsom salt. Then, on Monday, you can start him on a course of API General Cure. This is an anti-parasite med that contains metronidazole, which is effective against internal parasites.

Other than his stringy poo, Alpha's behavior looks very good. He is actively swimming in the video and his fins are full and healthy, not clamped up. And he is eating, which is also good. Continue to feed him frozen brine shrimp, it is a good food because of its fiber content.
I agree..
Basement Bettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 04:08 PM   #27 
kyasarin5

Alpha's belly is very round and swollen. He is still swimming around when I come to see him though and acting normal. When I leave the tank though he goes and sleeps at the bottom behind his plants. At night when the lights are off he sleeps on top of one of the leaves near the surface. He has had 2 solid looking poos since I started the API General Cure treatment. I am hoping that is a good sign. I am just so worried about his belly. i want to feed him some brine shrimp but I am worried his belly might burst!
Old 08-13-2012, 04:47 PM   #28 
Sakura8

His activity sounds pretty normal so far. That he is still swimming is good. A lot of bettas just rest when they're alone, kind of the same way dogs sleep on the porch when their owners are away.

You can feed him a few brine shrimp, that's fine. It's important to have something going in so there is waste that comes out, that is what helps to push the worms out.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:19 PM   #29 
kyasarin5

Here is a video of Alpha that I took today. Please let me know what you guys think. Thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oXtC...ature=youtu.be
Old 08-13-2012, 10:30 PM   #30 
kyasarin5

I gave him 4 brine shrimp dethawed this evening. He threw up 2 little tiny pieces of clearish white somethings about 3 hours after eating .

Tags
bloated betta male, ich, parasite