Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-16-2012, 11:55 PM   #41 
kyasarin5

Thank you Sakura for all of your help and everyone else who also helped. I didn't see the white spot on him anymore and he still had the stringy poo. He looked like he was having to come up more for air than he was. He stayed on one of the top leaves of his plant near the surface to sleep today. I let him sleep with natural light and turned off his aquarium light so he could sleep better. He has been mostly sleeping the past few days. When I looked at his belly it looked like it was almost ready to rupture. I gave him a couple of pellets before he passed. It was his favorite food. He loved his pellets. He was excited when i put him in his water changing tank. He was always excited when i changed his water. I am sad because I am worried about if he felt any pain when we used the clove oil. I thought he would just slowly go to sleep but he jumped around at first and I held him in my hand so he could get air from the surface and he calmed down then and slowly went to sleep. We used 3 drops in a cup of his tank water and shook it up well and then added about 1/2 cup to the 1/2 gallon he was in. Did we add too much too fast? He seemed like the clove oil really freaked him out the first 5 to 10 seconds. I hope we didn't hurt him. Does clove oil burn? He relaxed after I held him up to the surface with my hand and was okay getting air then but it was like when we first put the diluted clove oil in everytime he came up to the surface to get air he jerked away and flipped out. My poor baby. I hope he is at peace now. Could it have just been the smell of the clove oil that bothered him?

Last edited by kyasarin5; 08-17-2012 at 12:00 AM.
kyasarin5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 12:05 AM   #42 
kyasarin5

Thank you for your sympathy GawfFish. I miss him so much. I cried a long time after he passed. He was my friend and I loved him very much. :`(
Old 08-18-2012, 01:35 AM   #43 
Sakura8

kyasarin, I'm so sorry for your loss. :( You took excellent care of him and gave him a fighting chance against his illness.

As for the clove oil . . . everyone I have spoken to reports the same thing happening with the fish jumping. I honestly don't know what the fish could be reacting to, as I'm not sure enough studies have been done on its effects other than anaesthesizing and euthanization. My own attempt at using clove oil was a disaster and since then I have always had my veterinary clinic perform the euthanization. For emergencies, I have on hand a product called Finquel, which is an anaesthetic that can be safely overdosed for euthanization. I was told by my Petco that this is the product they use for such a purpose. It can be obtained at www.drsfostersmith.com.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 04:58 AM   #44 
kyasarin5

Thank you for your kind words. I miss Alpha very much. I am glad to know that it wasn't something we did wrong with the clove oil. I will get some finquel to have for the future. Thank you so much for everything. I have read in various places online that fish have an initial period of hyperactivity or excitatory stage as they lose their equilibrium and their central nervous system is depressed. Here are a few of the sources.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...ceMthmkrqO-wDQ

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...prDcPS-AKTApfA

Rest in Peace Alpha. <3
Old 10-20-2012, 04:54 PM   #45 
LiLBit1188

I was reading about ur bloated belly fish n I have the same thing happening to my fish, except that my fish sits at the bottom of the tank and comes up to eat. I am trying the Epson.salt, but I haven't seen any poop yet. I feel so bad for him, I don't know what else to do
LiLBit1188 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bloated betta male, ich, parasite