Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-08-2012, 10:13 AM   #1 
lilblue

Why wont he calm down?

I have had a betta, Ty, for about 2 weeks. He's technically my 5 year old son's pet but I'm in charge of his care and well-being We first had him in a 1.77 gallon tank but when I realized that it would be pretty hard to keep the water conditions stable in a tank that size we upgraded to a 5.5 gallon. He has 2 caves, several plants, a moss ball, a heater, and the filter is baffled with aquarium sponge. Sounds like he should be pretty happy, right? But he's not... Since we moved him to the new tank about 6 days ago all he's done is swim obsessively along the front and sides of the tank like he's trying his hardest to get out. It's exhausting to watch and I would love to see him calm down and explore his little home. He will stop to eat his pellets and looks like he's in good condition but I'm worried he's going to make himself sick. I didnt think bettas were supposed to be that active?

So is it normal for a fish to take this long to settle in? I feel like he was calmer and explored more in his small tank but I cant really do anything about that now... Any tips on how to get him to chill out?
lilblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:22 AM   #2 
Myates

Some bettas prefer the smaller spaces.. have to keep in mind after a short time in the grow out tank, the males tend to be placed into jars until it's time to cup them and ship them out to stores. So larger spaces can be scarey for some.

It sounds like he is just having fun swimming against the walls... bettas are active, especially the younger ones. We all just think they are calm, solitary fish because people keep them in small bowls.. but if given space they will swim all around and be active.
I say just give him some time. If he is eating then he isn't stressed badly, if at all. He may see a reflection in the glass (especially if tank light is brighter then room light) and is following that. He may be swimming and watching the going-ons around the room, as they don't like to be alone.
My experience is with my bettas that I got while younger were very active, to the point you are talking about where it is nonstop swimming. But over time they eventually chilled out and became much calmer overall.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:46 AM   #3 
shellieca
Reference Team

When was your last water change & how much? Was your tank completely cycled before you added him? If water conditions are poor (high ammonia, nitrites or nitrates) this can cause odd ball behavior. Do you test your water with a liquid water test?
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:48 AM   #4 
MyRainbowBettaFish

for the swimming along the glass, Honeycomb does it all the time, he still does it after 1 1/2 yrs in his 10 gal, and he dozent have parasites
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:58 AM   #5 
lilblue

He was the smallest and most active of the male bettas in the store... Watching him today he does seem do be straying from the sides to the middle of the tank a little. His other tank was acrylic and this one is glass so I wonder if he is seeing his reflection more. He's due for a 50% water change tomorrow so I might move his plants closer to the middle of the tank, right now theyre kind of along the back. Dont know if that will help anything or not, lol.

I think he's actually spitting a lot of his food out after a few minutes. He eats and then swims around for a bit and then spits the soggy pellet out. I dont notice unless I hang out and watch him for a while. He can only do one pellet at a time or he spits them out immediately.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:05 AM   #6 
lilblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca View Post
When was your last water change & how much? Was your tank completely cycled before you added him? If water conditions are poor (high ammonia, nitrites or nitrates) this can cause odd ball behavior. Do you test your water with a liquid water test?
No the tank wasnt cycled. I changed 50% of his water after the 3rd day and will be changing 50% again tomorrow. I dont have a liquid test kit. He has a ammonia alert thing in his tank but I've read they can be unreliable so I'm just going with twice a week water changes. I've read the fish in cycling thread in the other part of the forum and I'm trying to follow that. I have either tetra aquasafe or betta bowl plus to condition the water with when I change it.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:48 AM   #7 
OrangeAugust

My fish is very hyper, too. He never really stops moving. Especially in his new 5 gallon tank. The tank is right next to the couch, so he often will spend time at the glass facing me and swimming back and forth and dancing around like he wants my attention. hehe. Then after a while he will continue to explore the tank. He doesn't mind getting in the current of the filter, either. lol. Sometimes he will swim against the current for a short while.
Last night he was swimming around and flaring up a storm. I think he was seeing his reflection in the side of the tank because he spent some time against one of the walls all flared up. Then he would swim around and go back again and do the same thing. I finally turned off the light in his tank because I wanted him to calm the heck down. lol
So maybe yours is just really active like mine is, and also seeing his own reflection on the glass. Is your light in the tank brighter than the room light? I think that was the problem last night with Fishie because he didn't start getting all worked up until the sun went down and his tank light was brighter than the room. Also he got kind of worked up when I introduced him to Bob the snail (who is now in a separate tank after Fishie tried to eat him a few times).
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:01 PM   #8 
Myates

I would get a test kit, but I wouldn't worry about the ammonia and nitrates/ites causing this, as usually when they are exposed to high levels of those they will either stay still gasping at the surface, or laying on the bottom gasping. I think he is just exploring his new digs, waiting to see what happens before feeling fully secure, and just enjoying being able to stretch out and use his muscles that weren't being used in the small cups.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:03 PM   #9 
shellieca
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilblue View Post
No the tank wasnt cycled. I changed 50% of his water after the 3rd day and will be changing 50% again tomorrow. I dont have a liquid test kit. He has a ammonia alert thing in his tank but I've read they can be unreliable so I'm just going with twice a week water changes. I've read the fish in cycling thread in the other part of the forum and I'm trying to follow that. I have either tetra aquasafe or betta bowl plus to condition the water with when I change it.
Good that you're doing the water changes. He's probably just enjoying his ability to stretch his fins. You may want to invest in a liquid test because your water parameters can change drastically from day to day during the cycling process. I tested my 10g that is fish in cycling on Monday, all parameters were good; <.25 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 10-20 nitrates. I tested again Tuesday; .5-1 ammonia, high nitrites, 10-20 nitrates so I did about a 90% water change. My tank has been cycling for about 6 weeks, if I hadn't been testing I might not have caught that & would be having problems. I've had to do at 50% water changes every other day to keep all the parameters good for my fish.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:46 PM   #10 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilblue View Post
He was the smallest and most active of the male bettas in the store... Watching him today he does seem do be straying from the sides to the middle of the tank a little. His other tank was acrylic and this one is glass so I wonder if he is seeing his reflection more. He's due for a 50% water change tomorrow so I might move his plants closer to the middle of the tank, right now theyre kind of along the back. Dont know if that will help anything or not, lol.

I think he's actually spitting a lot of his food out after a few minutes. He eats and then swims around for a bit and then spits the soggy pellet out. I dont notice unless I hang out and watch him for a while. He can only do one pellet at a time or he spits them out immediately.
I've had two of my newest males act this same way when in the 5.5 tank...I finally had to move Beau to a smaller tank, and he calmed down and started eating. Bali is still darting around the larger 5.5, but he is eating, looks good etc. I did what you are saying here. Last night I moved all of his plants to the center with his cave, so he has more hiding areas until I can really plant up the tank. I worry too lol.
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote