Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-08-2012, 11:10 AM   #1 
blue moon

Question what do to for uncycled

ok so i have a 5 gallon tank and i guess i have decided to do uncycled but i have to question what stuff do i get for water treatment do i just do dechlorinator and Conditioner or is there something else since i am not doing the cycle ?

i already put the conditioner in the water for 3 or 4 days and the filter was on all those days and nothing else but i just turned it off because i don't have a fish in there. Do i keep the filter off or leave it on ? Do i need anything else in the water and how soon can i put my fish in the water ?

how long does it take for a tank to be cycled with one betta fish? and when can i start making once a week changes for the water ?

thank you for your help mean a lot
blue moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 11:20 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

You can safely cycle with the Betta provided that you make the needed water changes....

Read this sticky....to help you understand the nitrogen cycle a bit more and ask questions on what you don't understand....
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=107771
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:13 PM   #3 
blue moon

ok so im alittle lost what water care do i need just dechlorinator and Conditioner for my uncycled tank or something else?

after i make water changes for 4-6 weeks then do i start changing the water once a week about 30 to 50 % water change ?

Do i keep the filter off until i get my fish or just leave the filter running?

after putting the dechlorinator in the water or that and something else how long do i wait until i put my fish in ?

after floating my fish for 15 to 20 min and releasing him to his new tank what signs do i watch out for if something is wrong with my new fish or how do i make sure the water is safe for him 2 be in for him in a uncycled tank i get scared to put him in a new tank because im scared he might die the secound day and after his in the tank for a day or 2 when do i start doing water changes do i wait a week or do it the same week i put him in ?
Old 08-08-2012, 12:36 PM   #4 
shellieca

Cycling fish in or fish less can take a minimum of 4-6 weeks. If you choose to do a fish less cycle you still need to keep the filter running as that is where your most beneficial bacteria will grow. You need to have an ammonia source, some people purchase ammonia & dose the water to 4ppm, test the water daily to see when it goes down below 1ppm & then redoses up to 4ppm. This will continue until your tank can process the ammonia down to zero within 24 hrs. If you choose to do a fish in cycle you have to be even more dilligent in testing your water & doing water changes because you want to keep your fish alive & healthy. You will need to get a liquid water test such as the API Master Test Kit.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:43 PM   #5 
shellieca

Before you add your fish to ANY tank you need to properly acclimate him or her. Remove at least 1/2 of the water from the bag/cup, float it in the tank for about 15 minutes, then add a tablespoon of tank water, keep adding a tablespoon of tank water about every 15 minutes for at least an hour, THEN release your fish but it's advised to not add the water the fish was been floating in.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:19 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

The only additive you need IMO/E is a good dechlorinator that cover chlorine and chloramine. These products work on contact to make the water fish safe. It is safe to add the Betta once the water has been dechlorinated after properly acclimated.

Proper acclimation-you need to properly acclimate to both the chemistry and temp with the new Betta and with 100% water changes-By adding small amount of the dechlorinated tank water to their holding container over 15-20min or to tolerance. Then net the Betta and add to the tank....
You don't want to add any of the pet shop water to the tank...

The beneficial bacteria need oxygen and without a filter to help with the gas exchange your dissolved oxygen will be limited as well as the food source supply to the BB since it has to go to them by way of water movement...
You need to keep the filter running all the time-except for the time that it is off for the water changes.

Once the nitrogen cycle is established-Weekly 50% with vacuum in a 5gal filtered tank to maintain water quality.

Do you have a test kit?
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 02:09 PM   #7 
blue moon

no i do not all i have is a heater, a light, a hood, gravel, water with Conditioner for 3 to 4 days, a filter ( been filtering since i got it), silk fake plants.

so to complete my tank i just need dechlorinator and to wait a day so it can be filter in my tank then i can put my betta in my tank the proper way ?

after do 2x changes a week ( 1- 50% and 1- 90%) for 4 to 6 weeks then do 1 change every week ?

and that it i don't have to put any ammonia or get any testing kit sorry if i am wrong i just what to know for my knowledge and to be a better mom for my betta
Old 08-08-2012, 02:17 PM   #8 
blue moon

and do you have to put ammonia in the water or would it be fine with just a heater, a light, a hood, gravel, water with Conditioner for 3 to 4 days, a filter ( been filtering since i got it), silk fake plants and dechlorinator? just what to know for the future and just in case someone i know gets a betta as well
Old 08-08-2012, 02:19 PM   #9 
blue moon

and if i do need ammonia and tester where do i get it does pet smart or pet co have some what brand do i get how much do i put and how long will it take before i put my fish in
Old 08-08-2012, 02:32 PM   #10 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

You only need ammonia if your doing a fishless cycle, that means no fish in your tank while you cycle your tank. You need a API Freshwater Master Kit to check the levels in your water. You can do a fish in cycle and still check your levels everyday to see if your tank is starting to cycle. Only when your tank has cycled can you do less water changes.

Yes you can get the test kit at Petsmart or Petco.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote