Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-08-2012, 01:47 PM   #11 
blue moon

ok so i don't need ammonia at all i just need a api fresh water kit and then im ready to put my fish in ?
blue moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 02:07 PM   #12 
shellieca
Reference Team

If you choose to do a FISH IN cycle it is even MORE important to test your water daily. The results of the water test will dictate when to do a water change. With fish in you will typically do MORE water changes. You will NOT add ammonia if you have fish because the fish will produce ammonia. As for the water conditioner, I suggest Seachem Prime. Once you have the filter going do NOT remove it & do NOT rinse it with tap water, only use used tank water to swish back & forth in then put it back in its housing.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 02:15 PM   #13 
shellieca
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue moon View Post
no i do not all i have is a heater, a light, a hood, gravel, water with Conditioner for 3 to 4 days, a filter ( been filtering since i got it), silk fake plants.

so to complete my tank i just need dechlorinator and to wait a day so it can be filter in my tank then i can put my betta in my tank the proper way ?

after do 2x changes a week ( 1- 50% and 1- 90%) for 4 to 6 weeks then do 1 change every week ?

and that it i don't have to put any ammonia or get any testing kit sorry if i am wrong i just what to know for my knowledge and to be a better mom for my betta
I have 2 tanks currently going through fish in cycling, one is a 46g with 3 female Bettas, 2 CAE's & 2 Mystery snails. I set it up on July 7th, it has NOT completed cycling yet. I have been averaging at least a 50% water change every other day based on the water test results. Monday everything tested fine while Tuesday I had high NitrAtes so I did a water change. I also have a 10g with 1 male Betta & 1 Mystery snail that I set up approx. June 30th, it still has NOT completed cycling & again I am averaging a 50%-/+ water change every other day based on the water test results. Monday's test results were great, Tuesday's results were the opposite of great. I have had NO loss of life because of my vigilance. Invest in a LIQUID water test.
Old 08-08-2012, 03:02 PM   #14 
Oldfishlady

Once the nitrogen cycle has established you don't want to base water changes on test results alone since you also have DOC's (dissolved organic compounds) that we don't test for that can be problematic to the long term health.

You want to keep the nitrates between 5-20ppm
Ammonia and nitrite 0.25ppm or less-Ideally 0ppm
Remembering that some additives-like dechlorinator and plant foods can cause false readings as well as some source water can contain ammonia, nitrite, nitrate to start with.

You know the tank is most likely cycled when your test results are- ammonia and nitrite 0ppm and nitrate 5-20ppm for several days without ammonia, nitrite spikes.

Remember the test products we use test at a ppm level (parts per million) and you will always have some levels in the tank.

While I do agree it is a good idea to have a master freshwater test kit-know how to use it and most important understand the results and what to do with the results. You don't have to have one to keep a Betta or to Fish-in cycle, but you do need to have one for a Fishless cycle.

The nitrogen cycle is a natural process and will happen on its own provided that you meet the beneficial bacteria needs-that being-oxygen, food and surface area....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 03:21 PM   #15 
blue moon

thank you
Old 08-08-2012, 03:24 PM   #16 
blue moon

ok so i just need a kit and im ready to put my fish in the tank and do 2x change a week until 4 to 6 weeks then once a week 30 to 50 % when it cycles

soooo im basicly ready for my new fish right now ? right ?
Old 08-08-2012, 03:45 PM   #17 
shellieca
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Once the nitrogen cycle has established you don't want to base water changes on test results alone since you also have DOC's (dissolved organic compounds) that we don't test for that can be problematic to the long term health.

You want to keep the nitrates between 5-20ppm
Ammonia and nitrite 0.25ppm or less-Ideally 0ppm
Remembering that some additives-like dechlorinator and plant foods can cause false readings as well as some source water can contain ammonia, nitrite, nitrate to start with.

You know the tank is most likely cycled when your test results are- ammonia and nitrite 0ppm and nitrate 5-20ppm for several days without ammonia, nitrite spikes.

Remember the test products we use test at a ppm level (parts per million) and you will always have some levels in the tank.

While I do agree it is a good idea to have a master freshwater test kit-know how to use it and most important understand the results and what to do with the results. You don't have to have one to keep a Betta or to Fish-in cycle, but you do need to have one for a Fishless cycle.

The nitrogen cycle is a natural process and will happen on its own provided that you meet the beneficial bacteria needs-that being-oxygen, food and surface area....
I have to respectfully disagree on NOT testing the water daily when doing a fish in cycle, IMO it is even more important because you want to keep the fish alive & healthy. You won't know when there is a danger unless you are testing daily. If testing the water tells you .25 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 10 nitrates there's no need for a water change but if there is 1 ammonia, 2 nitrites, 20 nitrates a BIG water change is required, which was happened to me yesterday. If I hadn't been testing my water daily I would have missed the spiking yesterday of ammonia & nitrites for my fish in cycling 10g tank & I could have a dead or dying fish. I do agree that once a tank is established you won't need to do the testing every day, I think it's a good practice to do it at a minimum once a week just as a precaution. On my established 10g tank I do a 50% water change weekly, with a good vacuuming. Just my opinions and experience.
Old 08-08-2012, 03:58 PM   #18 
blue moon

and can you please list the produce i need to have a safe happy tank for my fish
Old 08-08-2012, 04:05 PM   #19 
Oldfishlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca View Post
I have to respectfully disagree on NOT testing the water daily when doing a fish in cycle, IMO it is even more important because you want to keep the fish alive & healthy. You won't know when there is a danger unless you are testing daily. If testing the water tells you .25 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 10 nitrates there's no need for a water change but if there is 1 ammonia, 2 nitrites, 20 nitrates a BIG water change is required, which was happened to me yesterday. If I hadn't been testing my water daily I would have missed the spiking yesterday of ammonia & nitrites for my fish in cycling 10g tank & I could have a dead or dying fish. I do agree that once a tank is established you won't need to do the testing every day, I think it's a good practice to do it at a minimum once a week just as a precaution. On my established 10g tank I do a 50% water change weekly, with a good vacuuming. Just my opinions and experience.
Sorry, you misunderstood....I didn't say NOT to test the water-but to NOT base water change needs on water test ALONE once the nitrogen cycle has established.......

When in the process of cycling a tank....I recommend daily testing-regardless of method- fish-in or fish-less, however, with fish-in you don't need a test kit when its just for a single fish like with a Betta-but its a good idea to have one to take the guess work out of the game or if you are cycling with multi fish for a community tank for safety of the livestock.

You also need to have a good understanding of how other things can change the chemistry and cause false readings so not to make unneeded water changes.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 04:28 PM   #20 
blue moon

ok so 1) can you please list the produce i need to have a safe happy tank for my fish

2) my fish tank as be running for 3 to 4 days with Conditioner and only 1 day with dechlorinator and lets say i get the fish tomorrow and i have the kit and everything and i put him in do i start changing the water like one day 50% and then 90% a few days later or wait a week then start changing and what about testing ?

3) i understand for fishless cycle u need ammonia and stuff but for uncycled is the fish doing all the work with the help of the filter, plants, and gravel orr ? and the numbers that your putting like 25. ammonia 0 nitrites ect are all from one betta or is it the produces in which you told me. because im looking at these number and im kind of confused i understand its to keep a balance tank but how do you get these numbers for one betta fish in a 5 gallon tank?

im sorry i understand what your saying but at the same time im a little shaky

Last edited by blue moon; 08-08-2012 at 04:33 PM.