Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-08-2012, 10:47 AM   #1 
misty1477

Question Do I Need To Filter Sparkle's Tank?

Sparkle has been in a 5.5 gallon filtered tank with silk plant+flowerball cave+luster gems as substrate for about 2 months now. No heater yet...temp stays correct since weather is warm.

At first he seemed to enjoy the filter flow and would even hang out by the filter intake. But recently, he seemed to not like it anymore. So I removed it for a few days. Yesterday, I felt that I actually should have his tank filtered so I put it back in. Before I even turned it on .... he began FLARING at it like a crazy-man I watched him for a while and he kept flaring at the black output part that hangs outside of the tank. I thought ... holy crap...I better get it out of there before he blows a fin or something!!!!

I took it out and now wonder if I can keep him healthy in this size tank without it being filtered. I read so many threads and posts about filtered and non-filtered tanks....I am confused

I do a siphon gravel 50% to 60% water change once a week and refill using water conditioner. Will I need to do more water changes or is this okay?

BTW ... He eats OmegaOne SuperColor Pellets ... finally got him off flakes ... less food debris in tank ... YAY !!!
misty1477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 11:01 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

IMO/E-filters are optional for this species and sometimes they can even be problematic-Sometimes the water flow can be the cause of fin damage in the long fin males and cause stress.

In a 5gal without a filter or live plants with a single Betta-you can maintain water quality with 1-50% weekly with vacuum in all area that can be reached without moving anything.
You can add a 100% or near 100% every month too, however, as long as you are not over feeding, feeding good quality food and cleaning the substrate at least weekly that may not be needed. If you can't vacuum weekly a 100% monthly is recommended.

By adding live rooted or floating plants can also help maintain water quality and function like the filter.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 11:16 AM   #3 
shellieca

Quote:
Originally Posted by misty1477 View Post
Sparkle has been in a 5.5 gallon filtered tank with silk plant+flowerball cave+luster gems as substrate for about 2 months now. No heater yet...temp stays correct since weather is warm.

At first he seemed to enjoy the filter flow and would even hang out by the filter intake. But recently, he seemed to not like it anymore. So I removed it for a few days. Yesterday, I felt that I actually should have his tank filtered so I put it back in. Before I even turned it on .... he began FLARING at it like a crazy-man I watched him for a while and he kept flaring at the black output part that hangs outside of the tank. I thought ... holy crap...I better get it out of there before he blows a fin or something!!!!

I took it out and now wonder if I can keep him healthy in this size tank without it being filtered. I read so many threads and posts about filtered and non-filtered tanks....I am confused

I do a siphon gravel 50% to 60% water change once a week and refill using water conditioner. Will I need to do more water changes or is this okay?

BTW ... He eats OmegaOne SuperColor Pellets ... finally got him off flakes ... less food debris in tank ... YAY !!!
IMO, it is better to have a filter. There are ways to protect him from the intake & to staunch the outflow. If you choose not to have a filter so long as you continue to great water changes he should be fine. It'll just be a little extra work.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 11:29 AM   #4 
misty1477

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
IMO/E-filters are optional for this species and sometimes they can even be problematic-Sometimes the water flow can be the cause of fin damage in the long fin males and cause stress.

In a 5gal without a filter or live plants with a single Betta-you can maintain water quality with 1-50% weekly with vacuum in all area that can be reached without moving anything.
You can add a 100% or near 100% every month too, however, as long as you are not over feeding, feeding good quality food and cleaning the substrate at least weekly that may not be needed. If you can't vacuum weekly a 100% monthly is recommended.

By adding live rooted or floating plants can also help maintain water quality and function like the filter.
Thank You ... I appreciate your expert opinion
Old 08-08-2012, 11:32 AM   #5 
misty1477

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca View Post
IMO, it is better to have a filter. There are ways to protect him from the intake & to staunch the outflow. If you choose not to have a filter so long as you continue to great water changes he should be fine. It'll just be a little extra work.
Thank You for your response. It just freaked me out how he was flaring at the thing even though it wasn't turned back on ... YIKES!

Even when he was 'happy' with the filter going, I did the weekly siphon gravel water changes. Seems like everything will be okay without the filter
Old 08-08-2012, 11:49 AM   #6 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post

Thanks OFL I was wondering this same thing in my 5.5..Beau was always stressed in that tank, so I moved him to smaller digs. Now Bali is in the tank, and was acting just like Beau did...darting around constantly. This filter just seemed to vibrate the tank no matter what I did, so I removed it. Good to know that with my water changes etc. I can keep Bali in the tank and healthy! I love your advice always.
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 02:59 PM   #7 
thekoimaiden
Reference Team

If you want a filter in a tank that small I would go with a sponge filter over a power filter. I have used power filters with bettas, and in my experience cause my bettas more stress than a sponge filter or extra water change. In anything smaller than a 5 gal, I don't recommend a filter at all.

At this point, it's really personal preference. Do you want the filter and less work, or no filter and more work?
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:58 AM   #8 
misty1477

Update....it is not the filter !!!!

I have recently came to the conclusion that ANYTHING DARK/BLACK in color is freaking him out

I noticed that whenever one of my black cats walked by or laid down by his tank he would flare so much I thought his head would pop off !!!

I did an experiment ....

I put a sheet of black paper outside the tank .... FLARE-MODE !!!!!
I then put a sheet of white paper outside the tank .... CALM AS CAN BE !!!!

This is very odd ... Sparkle was never "afraid" of dark objects outside his tank.

Jeepers Fish .... I hope he isn't afraid of the dark at night Although I do see him sleeping near the top of his silk plant.

Any clues as to what is going on? Does he need therapy????
Old 08-16-2012, 12:03 PM   #9 
Oldfishlady

Laffs.....I am afraid so....Therapy for his color black phobia....lol.....we will want a video on this....lol.....

In all seriousness......its hard to say the whats, whys of this new behavior. It is odd since he didn't start out that way...
My thoughts- maybe when you first got him he wasn't healthy and with your great care by improved water quality and nutrition he became more aware of his surroundings......
Maybe over time by slowly introducing dark/black colored objects you can desensitize him.
Or only feed him with a dark/black colored object-kind of a positive reinforcement conditioning..therapy in a sense....Just a thought.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:32 PM   #10 
shellieca

I think he sees his reflection with the black background & that is what he is flaring at. At night the lights are out inside & outside the tank so I'm pretty sure he's probably not scared. Of course I'm no fish psychologist.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote