Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-08-2012, 01:53 PM   #1 
babystarz

Danger of too much slime coat?

Hi all,
Quick question for you - is there any danger in adding a bit too much slime coat to a tank? Two of my tanks apparently got a little too much. The surface of the water is, how do I describe this? Slightly thicker in consistency than normal water. What I mean by this is that when the fish breath out, the bubbles get trapped right below the surface and just hang out there, where in normal water they would pop.

My fish appear to be breathing fine, I'm just worried that maybe I'm making things unnecessarily hard for them. I thought I'd err on the side of a bit too much for the new fishies with stress coat because I wanted them to be comfy, but I hope I didn't go too overboard.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 02:41 PM   #2 
thekoimaiden
Reference Team

If you're talking about the API stress coat water conditioner, I have heard that too much can cause fish breathing troubles as it clogs up the gills. I'm not too sure how much truth there is in this, but I no longer use the stuff. Have you tried trying to stir the surface of the water with your fingers?
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 02:42 PM   #3 
shellieca

Quote:
Originally Posted by babystarz View Post
Hi all,
Quick question for you - is there any danger in adding a bit too much slime coat to a tank? Two of my tanks apparently got a little too much. The surface of the water is, how do I describe this? Slightly thicker in consistency than normal water. What I mean by this is that when the fish breath out, the bubbles get trapped right below the surface and just hang out there, where in normal water they would pop.

My fish appear to be breathing fine, I'm just worried that maybe I'm making things unnecessarily hard for them. I thought I'd err on the side of a bit too much for the new fishies with stress coat because I wanted them to be comfy, but I hope I didn't go too overboard.
IMO if there is a film on top of your water do a small water change to remove it & you'll feel better. Personally I don't use "stress coat" I only use Prime & have had not problems. If I'm not mistaken you cannot over do the water treatment but I would read every square inch of the bottle to see what it says.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 03:17 PM   #4 
babystarz

Yep I'm using API stress coat, I want to get some Prime but none of the local pet stores stock it so I will have to buy it online. I will do a small water change ASAP, I have to go back to the store for some water containers - mine are currently emergency housing for plants XD I was supposed to have my 14 gallon up and running and ready for the plants, but of course that didn't work out as planned. I have the tank but I can't set it up yet because my landlord is behind on fixing up the house I'm supposed to move into as of last week. I technically could set it up, but the guy is still using power tools and painting everywhere so I don't want anything icky to get into the tank. Sigh.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 03:57 PM   #5 
shellieca

Quote:
Originally Posted by babystarz View Post
Yep I'm using API stress coat, I want to get some Prime but none of the local pet stores stock it so I will have to buy it online. I will do a small water change ASAP, I have to go back to the store for some water containers - mine are currently emergency housing for plants XD I was supposed to have my 14 gallon up and running and ready for the plants, but of course that didn't work out as planned. I have the tank but I can't set it up yet because my landlord is behind on fixing up the house I'm supposed to move into as of last week. I technically could set it up, but the guy is still using power tools and painting everywhere so I don't want anything icky to get into the tank. Sigh.
So fun when things don't go as planned. Prime is good, IMO, but the main this is that you are using a water conditioner. Good luck with your move.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:04 PM   #6 
MSG

Make sure you clean everything once you move into the new place. Construction workers are generally not good at cleaning. They leave tons of residue. You're better off letting them finish what they're good at and clean the place yourself.

Also may want to open the windows and bust out the fans to circulate the air while the paint dries.

There's nothing I hate more than the smell of drying paint.

While you're at it. Check your faucet aerators in the kitchen and bathroom for mineral deposits and sediment. Usually most places don't bother to clean those. But it'll give you an idea of how clean the water pipes are.

Don't drop them down the drain.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 06:14 PM   #7 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Speaking of Prime water conditioner I am getting some in the mail soon and wondering how much per gallon to use ? I have a 5 gallon tank and use gallon jugs to do my water changes with. Thanks !
Perseusmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 06:18 PM   #8 
ihatefirewalls

I use both prime and stress coat. The film develops after a few days regardless of which conditioner I use. It's supposedly just a harmless build up of proteins/organic matter and bacteria which feed on it.
ihatefirewalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:35 PM   #9 
shellieca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perseusmom View Post
Speaking of Prime water conditioner I am getting some in the mail soon and wondering how much per gallon to use ? I have a 5 gallon tank and use gallon jugs to do my water changes with. Thanks !
I think others say its 2 drops per gallon. For my 10g tanks I fill the cap to the 1st or 2nd thread & I've had no problems.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:40 PM   #10 
thekoimaiden
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perseusmom View Post
It's actually 0.1 mL per gallon, but just a drop is a good approximation. I have a diabetic in the family, so I stole a syringe and use that (with the tip broken off) to measure it out.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote