Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-09-2012, 02:14 PM   #11 
sunlight

Also i know that parasites will die without host but i am wondering if cataze need to remove everything from the tank and just let it sit in a sun to let the parasites die?And of course the same with the tank? Or just syphone? If it would be me i would completely take a part everything and wash it and let it sit outside to make sure parasites die.
sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:15 PM   #12 
cataze

Thanks for the advice! I will move him when I get home from work.

My LFS doesn't carry any Jungle products for parasites. They do carry API General Cure, though. I had read that GC is basically PraziPro and Metronidazole in one shot...I was thinking of getting them separately, but I'll go for the API GC if that's better.

He has no bloating, and doesn't really seem to be losing weight, but it's only been a few days of spitting his food out, and only a couple of days of stringy white poop. Should I use the Epsom Salt at the same time as the medication, or try ES first and then medication? Is the 1-2 tsp of ES for the 3 gallons, or per gallon? (Sorry for all the questions...I'm a newbie!)

As for the water changes, I underestimated...I just calculated, and I change more like 30-35% (2-3 3 gallon buckets). I usually do it weekly...I put the 1-2 weeks in there because I just got over a bad case of Pneumonia so I was unable to do my weekly water change.
cataze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 04:31 PM   #13 
sunlight

It 2 tsp per gallon with daily 100% water changes.
And never afraid to do more water changes. It always better more then less. I am doing 100% water changes all the time and all my bettas in perfect health for long time. I read on this forum that 50% water changes is even better.

As for medications and salt you can use them together. And i would do daily water changes. The post that i read if you want i can post a link. Someone treated with medications along with ep . Also what is interesting that person was doing daily water changes. Even though the medications instructions were different. He just added needed dose of medications with every change.

Also i think you ask if betta could get parasites from freeze dried blood worms? No it can not. May be from live ones i would think.
sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 06:26 PM   #14 
Myates

Epsom is gentle enough to work with other medications, use both at the same time.
Most likely it is all internal parasites, but you can do a good siphoning of the home tank to be extra safe.
I like General Cure, and I am one that tends to shy away from medications all together and go a more natural route (luckily haven't had many health issues other then what they come home with).
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 06:30 PM   #15 
Myates

nm, misread

Last edited by Myates; 08-09-2012 at 06:40 PM.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:00 PM   #16 
cataze

I have a thread going on this in Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies...you can see my update there.
cataze is offline   Reply With Quote