Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-08-2012, 04:42 PM   #1 
LittleWatty

Health Checkup

Just got a new boy, and having had a history of losing new fish for no apparent reason, I thought I'd do a quick checkup on the boy I just got. He's currently in a 1.75 gallon hospital/quarantine tank until I can get a better home for him. It is heated, and is dosed at 1tsp/gallon AQ salt. He doesn't seem to be having any issues, except maybe a fungal issue (signs on dorsal - not sure if natural color, new growth, or problem), and maybe some fin rot (one of his ventrals is pretty beat up, couldn't get a good shot though)
Attached Images

LittleWatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 05:48 PM   #2 
MSG

Some bettas have curly fins, not sure why. I heard it was related to the hardness of water. But you boy looks healthy to me.

Are you positive you see fungus on his dorsal fins?
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 05:51 PM   #3 
LittleWatty

I have hard water, and my CT's rays are VERY curled/mangled, but I figured it was worth a check. Taking a second look at his ventrals, only the red is curled, but he's got long straight white fins too. Almost looks like the read is a sheath around the white.

I'm not positive, that's why I'm asking XD I see the white/clear edges on his dorsal, and it makes me wonder. He does have some areas in the white of his caudal fin that are slightly translucent, so I don't know if its his color or not.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:55 PM   #4 
MSG

You should make a habit of taking pictures of them in the sunlight.

Your pictures are pretty clear, but sunlight makes a huge difference with most cameras. I think most of the point & shoot type cameras are designed for optimal performance during the daylight hours.

Make sure you wipe down the inside of the cup and the outside as well too.

The 16oz & 32oz & 64oz square/rectangular glass flower vases are some of my favorites to use for taking pictures.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:59 PM   #5 
LittleWatty

I wanted to get some quick shots of him before I gave him more room to swim around in, and thus places to hide from my view, just in case there was something wrong with him. I'll definitely be getting more pictures of him tomorrow. When I took the above photos, it was dark in my apartment, so I switched on my lights, and also my desk lamp for a little extra (since its still pretty dark). Otherwise, I usually take my pictures during the day, but I only get sun in the morning hours.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:36 PM   #6 
LebronTheBetta

He's a butterfly VT. It's his color, unless you see something else than this?
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:03 PM   #7 
LittleWatty

Nope, that's all I saw. But I had a seemingly healthy boy who had a fungal problem I didn't notice at all - even when he finally did die, I couldn't see anything. So, I wanted to be extra sure.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:10 PM   #8 
jCo72

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWatty View Post
Nope, that's all I saw. But I had a seemingly healthy boy who had a fungal problem I didn't notice at all - even when he finally did die, I couldn't see anything. So, I wanted to be extra sure.
How are you able to tell he had a fungal problem when you couldn't see anything? (serious question - don't want it to seem like I'm being snarky)
jCo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 08:09 AM   #9 
LittleWatty

Someone else saw something I didn't. When he started having problems, I posted on here, and another member saw a fungal infection.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:41 AM   #10 
MSG

Just take another picture in the sunlight if you can find the time. I think treating a fish for injuries they don't have is worse. That's why good pictures are vital if you want people to give you a accurate diagnosis.

For example.... My betta Senetti managed to get half her body through a hole in a broken decoration slightly larger than a AAA battery. Once I cut her out, she had has severe cuts around her midsection . I did NOT medicate her because she shows no signs of infection eventhough her flesh is completely exposed.

She's doing fine right now and behaves like nothing is wrong. She's going to be changed out of her oak leave water into clean conditioned water after I post this...

Also she's already reached day 10 with the salt treatment, so now she's going to just get stress coat, some new oak leaves & a bay leaf.