Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-08-2012, 07:41 PM   #1 
Tyler

Has anybody had a female betta tend the nest instead or with the male?

I just spawned my bettas and the male refused to pick up the eggs. The female, on the other hand, picked them up and put them in the nest. He "moved the eggs around", but I think he really ate them. I really want to spawn him, and I was wondering if I could take him out and replace leave them with the girl. Unorthodox I know, but it just might work. Also, could I put in a different male to take care of them? Or would he just eat them too. He is a proven breeder and good father.

Last edited by Tyler; 08-08-2012 at 07:55 PM.
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:32 PM   #2 
VictorP

I've had females assist in making the nest and putting eggs into the nest but sooner or later the female will eat your eggs. I say scoop eggs into a cup with a little water to cover the eggs and artificially hatch them
VictorP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:46 PM   #3 
Mo

I had a great mom who would do this. Unfortunately both of the males ate the eggs after she placed them into the nest
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:47 PM   #4 
Tyler

I would :/ but they were all eaten. Have you ever replaced the male with a different male and had him take care of the eggs?
Old 08-08-2012, 08:52 PM   #5 
Mo

I personally havnt. Honestly. The eggs might not have been fertilized so try spawning them one more time and be sure everything is perfect
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:07 PM   #6 
VictorP

There's no point in switching males. If you do so the eggs will not even be taken care of just eaten
VictorP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:12 PM   #7 
Tyler

Yeah, I guess the other fish would. I'll spawn them again. And if the male doesn't go for the eggs I will siphon them out and hatch them artificially.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:31 AM   #8 
goldfishyman

The other males would eat the eggs as this would be considered competition for his offspring. This is common in the wild with animals.
goldfishyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:33 AM   #9 
indjo
TFK Moderator

You could either artificially hatch the eggs or use a foster parent (male) system. For the second method, you need 2 males spawn on the same day. Either add the eggs to the foster's nest or remove the original eggs and replace.

Most females will help care for eggs during spawning. But they will eventually eat them the following day.

Once I had a lazy male that wants the eggs gathered in one end while the female wants them on the opposite end. The female picked up all the eggs. The male just moves them to his end ...... eventually both were moving eggs to the opposite ends.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 06:06 PM   #10 
Tyler

Too bad I don't have another male to spawn. :/ I have decided to artificially hatching them by floating a cup in the breeding tank with the eggs being aggitated by air. When they hatch I will turn the air off, and lower the water level to about an inch, and then turn the air off. When they are free-swimming I will let them out and continue to take care of as usual. Does this sound good to you?