Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-08-2012, 09:42 PM   #1 
Rerram

Is my betta sick?

I left a few hours ago and he looked fine. Colorful, active, seemed totally normal. Came home and he is still swimming around and behaving normal. However, his fins have lost like all the color. I am attaching a picture of when I first got him, and a picture of him now. Is he ok? Please help.
Attached Images

Rerram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:56 PM   #2 
thekoimaiden

Have you tested the water for a drop in pH? Rise in ammonia? Drop in temperature?

Was he in the dark while you were gone? When left in the dark for a while, the colors on a fish will naturally start to fade out as it hides them better at night.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:02 PM   #3 
Rerram

He was in the dark. My dad was like "He is fine. Their colors change." I, being rather fond of him, did not want him to die. So I figured I would check with yall. I do not have a ph tester. And the temperature has gone down because this morning the water temp in the tank was 85. So I unplugged the heater. I got a bigger tank and a filter for it that I will be moving him into tomorrow. Should I just keep an eye on him and see what happens?
Old 08-08-2012, 10:18 PM   #4 
thekoimaiden

That sounds like a good idea. If he was in the dark, I'm betting it's just the normal loss of color that happens when it darkens.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:20 PM   #5 
KevinPham123

If you have those heaters that turn themselves off at the set temperature, keep it in the tank. Up to you though. Best to get your levels in the water checked out.
KevinPham123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:20 PM   #6 
Rerram

Can it be a significant color loss? Not just to the dark, but say the tank was dirty, or he was stressed or whatever, can they lose a good bit of showing color?
Old 08-08-2012, 10:26 PM   #7 
thekoimaiden

Oh ya! If the tank is really dirty it can cause significant loss of color. It's crazy to see the difference between those tiny cups and a clean, warm bowl. There are usually a few threads with before and after pictures in the photos section. Go check them out. It's wild!
Old 08-08-2012, 10:37 PM   #8 
Rerram

Alright. Thank you so much. I feel much better.