Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-09-2012, 12:00 PM   #1 
Gen2387

Dammit, I have a tail bitter. Advice?

Sooooo, the little VT I adopted about a month ago started tail bitting 2 days ago. He'S still young and was adapting extremely well to his new home but 2 days ago I fed him (he was fine then), left for about 1 hour to do the water change in my other aquariums and when I came back, he had chewed off half his tail!

So I heard that bettas can do this out of boredom so I change things around in his aquarium when I do the water changes, I exercise him a couple of minutes everyday with the mirror... He has plenty to explore and do in his aquarium but he had chewed a little more when I went to see him this morning... Anyone has advice or experience with tail bitters?
Gen2387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 12:05 PM   #2 
lvandert

they also can start to bite due to stress. What size tank do you have? are their any other fish/invertebrates? and how often do you do a water change? also do you have a heater?

Outside of things being wrong in the environment he's in they sometimes just don't like their big, heavy, beautiful tails. I have a few that wish they were plakats
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 12:08 PM   #3 
JBosley

I have a tail biter too Not fun!

My advice, and what helped Dragonfly, was upgrading him to a larger tank. I ended up getting a 15 gallon and dividing it Heater and sponge filter, which he LOVES swimming in and out of the bubbles! I also make sure the water is a nice 80F, seems to help. I have TONS of decorations in the tank, as well as some I keep outside the tank! Once a month I switch around the decorations, remove some and add new ones I also find giving lots of different "caves" to explore really help. He also LOVE playing in his Betta Log.

Hope this helps!
JBosley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 12:11 PM   #4 
Gen2387

I don't think it's because his tail is heavy... he's still very young and small... The tail wasn't that big to begin with.
As for his environment, at the time he's in a 2 gal, heated tank. Maybe in a couple of months, if I have space I can upgrade but bettas usually do good in 2 gals. My other guys are in 5 gal and 3 gal. They've always done fine, he's the first tail bitter I have. Darn.
The environment is not stressful, he's in my room, and it's a calm room, I don't play loud music or tv and there's not a lot of people that go in... It's pretty calm.
Gen2387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 12:17 PM   #5 
lvandert

He still could want a less heavy tail. It seems something clicks in their head and their like "hey wait a min, I had a lighter tail like 2 months ago. Why is it so heavy? It must bee all this extra fin. hmmm I wonder if I just bite a bit off if it will make it lighter? hey look at that! it did!"

One of my boys, I'm assuming is a VT, has never let his tail grow past an inch. I got him young and when his tail had grown out enough to start to droop he started with the biting. I've tried bigger tanks, switching environment, adding IAL, removing IA etc etc... After a few months of switching things I gave up.
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote