Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-30-2012, 08:42 PM   #1 
MSG

Can recently harvested laurus nobilis leaves be used in betta soaks? Instead of IAL?

Just wondering if anyone has used leaves from a Laurus nobilis tree for betta soaks?

Can't find any information out there. 100% positive these are from that specific tree & it's grown organically.

You guys think it's a good idea or bad idea?

Also people mentioned using other leaves from hardwood trees as a substitute for IAL.

Any particular trees other than oak that you guys suggest I should keep my eyes out for?

Thanks.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:30 PM   #2 
cjconcepcion

sorry i dont know about Laurus nobilis, but dired banana leaves work great too
cjconcepcion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:17 AM   #3 
MSG

Laurus nobilis is also known a bay leaves. I used them for a couple days, gave a nice aroma to the tank.

I'm not going to use any more till I get some more feedback.

I would be hesitant to use banana leaves because I would assume they would be laced with pesticides.

Still haven't had time to stroll around the forest. Maybe over the weekend.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:40 PM   #4 
cjconcepcion

hmmm... where is that tree native to? and same with all plants make sure you know where the leaves came from before sticking them in your fish tank, dont want any bad stuff in your water O.o
Old 08-01-2012, 12:44 PM   #5 
LebronTheBetta

Aren't bay leaves kind of like herbs? My parents add it sometimes in our food. It does have a strong aroma. It's supposed to add some taste and smell. Banana Leaves are great for substitution! It's either that or IAL and Oak Leaves.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 04:50 AM   #6 
MSG

Oh yes it is an herb, that's why I have it.

Originates in the Mediterranean area, very highly regarded in Greece.

Another reason why I harvested many of these leaves. This tree is at least 15-20 years old, grown organically. When you buy bay leaves in the store, you have really no way of determining what type of tree it was harvested from.

Bay leaves definitely have a distinct aroma when it's used in cooking. I throw in a bay leaf almost any time I make any sort of soup/braise/sauce/etc...

I'll be bringing back at least 100-200 leaves next time I visit this tree.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bay_Laurel

http://www.herbco.com/p-955-bay-leaf-cs.aspx
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lauric_acid

http://www.globalherbalsupplies.com/...bay_laurel.htm
Old 08-08-2012, 02:45 PM   #7 
cjconcepcion

in my opinion i would use something native to southeast asia, because they are the leaves that would naturally fall and end up in the rice paddies where betta fish come from. i dont think the bay leaves would do any harm to your fish, but im not sure what benefits they would provide. do they release tannins in the water?
Old 08-08-2012, 05:18 PM   #8 
MSG

They do have a variety of bay leaf that's native to SE Asia, but those trees are not usually available in the US. Also the leaves are don't have as much flavor as the nobilis variety.

Also at the time my betta's fins were severely injured I didn't have time to go out to SEARCH for a tree, and I had these freshly harvested leaves in my cabinet, so I decided to use them, since I was going to visit that particular bay tree again.

Yes, these bay leaves do have tannins and a lot of other beneficial chemicals in them, but takes a while to soak to bring them out.

My betta didn't freak out or anything when she was in the water with the leaves.

Anyway, I'm going out to dig up a oak tree sapling my neighbor offered me, so I should have a unlimited supply of O leaves this autumn.

On another note....

I'm not too fond of the oak leaves so far for a soaking medium. The water smells a bit swampy, already changed half of it, but when I used the bay leaves, it didn't smell bad like this.

The oak leaf betta bath water is definitely much darker than the bay leaf soaked water.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:40 PM   #9 
Pilot00

There is a huge use of the laurels for food and medical purposes here in Greece but mostly for ornaments and their smell. The things grow seemingly everywhere (i think my father cultivates some).

They are used to stimulate cellular reconstruction and blood clot as far as i know (you know the old traditional recepies)

Last edited by Pilot00; 08-08-2012 at 05:42 PM.
Pilot00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 05:46 PM   #10 
MSG

Yeah, I'm well aware of most of their benefits, that's why I have a lot of them in the kitchen.

I just couldn't find any info about the leaves being used solely for treating injured fish.

The only thing I could find was COOKING fish with bay leaves.

That's why I created the thread. I thought it would be cool if it could double as a healing bath for bettas.