Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-09-2012, 03:55 AM   #1 
missketie

Talking Random Questions About Bettas and Tanks

I have a half-moon Betta, had him for exactly 10 days now. He seems healthy he swims a lot for a fish in a 1 gallon tank, and I don't really have any problems with him. I'm just curious about a few things.
  1. What are airstones for? Do I need it for a 1 gallon tank since I don't have a filter?
  2. What are mossballs for? I see them in cups with the Bettas at Petsmart but what are they for? Do the Bettas eat the moss?
  3. How will I know the difference of whether or not he's sleeping a lot or if he's sick?
  4. What kind of real plants are ideal to keep in a tank? I have some sort of fern in my tank but it gets yellow too fast.
  5. I have a lightbulb on my tank, is it okay to leave it on for the night? I read some Bettas like dark or dim tanks, but my Betta seemed more energetic after I installed a lightbulb.
  6. What do oak leaves do for the Bettas? I've read a lot of posts on this forum telling other Betta owners to put oak leaves in their tanks. What is it for? Should I find oak leaves for my Betta too?
  7. I saw a video on Youtube where one owner taught his Betta to swim through a hoop. How do I begin to train my Betta to do that? How do I tell him to swim through the hoop? LOL.
  8. How much pellets is really ideal to feed your Betta? I feed mine 3 pellets. 2 in the morning and 1 at night. But I read other people feed theirs more, am I underfeeding my Betta?
  9. I skipped feeding him yesterday because I read that it's good to skip a day so they don't get bloated and constipated. Then this afternoon his poop was beige/kind of white. Instead of the usual dark brown, is that normal when you skip a day?
That's all I have for now. LOL. Thansk to anyone who replies.

Last edited by missketie; 08-09-2012 at 03:58 AM.
missketie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 04:27 AM   #2 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by missketie View Post
I have a half-moon Betta, had him for exactly 10 days now. He seems healthy he swims a lot for a fish in a 1 gallon tank, and I don't really have any problems with him. I'm just curious about a few things.
  1. What are airstones for? Do I need it for a 1 gallon tank since I don't have a filter?
  2. What are mossballs for? I see them in cups with the Bettas at Petsmart but what are they for? Do the Bettas eat the moss?
  3. How will I know the difference of whether or not he's sleeping a lot or if he's sick?
  4. What kind of real plants are ideal to keep in a tank? I have some sort of fern in my tank but it gets yellow too fast.
  5. I have a lightbulb on my tank, is it okay to leave it on for the night? I read some Bettas like dark or dim tanks, but my Betta seemed more energetic after I installed a lightbulb.
  6. What do oak leaves do for the Bettas? I've read a lot of posts on this forum telling other Betta owners to put oak leaves in their tanks. What is it for? Should I find oak leaves for my Betta too?
  7. I saw a video on Youtube where one owner taught his Betta to swim through a hoop. How do I begin to train my Betta to do that? How do I tell him to swim through the hoop? LOL.
  8. How much pellets is really ideal to feed your Betta? I feed mine 3 pellets. 2 in the morning and 1 at night. But I read other people feed theirs more, am I underfeeding my Betta?
  9. I skipped feeding him yesterday because I read that it's good to skip a day so they don't get bloated and constipated. Then this afternoon his poop was beige/kind of white. Instead of the usual dark brown, is that normal when you skip a day?
That's all I have for now. LOL. Thansk to anyone who replies.

1 Airstones are not needed. Beeta sip air at the surface whenever they want.

2 Mossballs are fun plants to have. Nearly maintenance free. Betta don't eat them or any plant.

3 If sleeping, when you wake him up he'll become active.

4 Java moss, Java fern, Anubias, Wisteria are good low-light beginner plants.

5 Turn the light off at night Betta like a day/night cycle just like other animals.

6 Oak leaf tannins darken the water. Some keepers use it to calm their fish down or treat injuries.

7 Teach him to follow your finger with food on it. Expand from there.

8 2 pellets 2x/day is about right. Break it up with frozen bloodworms as a treat 2x/week.

9 Some keepers fast their fish, some don't.

Answers to questions you didn't ask:

Change his water 3x/week

Use dechlorinator/conditioner always

Use a heater and thermometer to keep the tank temp around 78*/82*

Cover the tank to provide warm moist air at the surface to breath and to prevent jumping out.

Last edited by Hallyx; 08-09-2012 at 04:31 AM.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote