Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-09-2012, 09:37 AM   #1 
cataze

How should I treat internal parasites???

Hi everyone,

I posted in Betta Care yesterday about my betta Akira (http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=110117). He stopped eating his pellets (that he normally jumps for), and started having white stringy poop. I was told he probably has internal parasites.

Now I'm trying to figure out how to treat it. I've been researching treatments for internal parasites, and I am totally overwhelmed!

Is it okay to treat him in his 20G, or should I move him to my 3G hospital tank (I have a heater for it)? He's in the 20G by himself. I just don't want to stress him by moving him to the hospital tank if I don't need to.

My LFS has many options in terms of medications: PraziPro, Seachem Metronidazole, Seachem Paraguard, API General Cure, Tetra Parasite Guard...I'm not sure what's the best treatment.

I've seen a lot of people talking about PraziPro. I've also read that you can use PraziPro and Metronidazole together.

Since he won't eat ANYTHING, I'm assuming I should start with a treatment that goes in the water, and then try feeding him medicated food. Does that sound reasonable? Should I also try ES? Should I increase the water temperature?

I would appreciate any help I can get. He's my first fish (had him for almost 5 months), and this is the first time he's been sick.

Tank: 20 gallon tall (fishless cycled)
Filter: BioWheel 150 (baffled intake, baffled in-flow)
Tankmates: none
Plants : silk plants, and a few Marimos
Temp: a steady 79F
Water is changed 25% every week to 2 weeks
Water is dechlorinated with Prime
Food: New Life Spectrum Betta Formula, 2 pellets 3X a day (this might sound like a lot. he's never been bloated at all), and fasted day a week. He's had freeze dried blood worms 3 times since I've had him

Thanks in advance!
Cate
cataze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 10:32 AM   #2 
MSG

I would move Akira to a smaller than 3G container because it's cheaper to treat 1 gallon of water with medication vs 3G

Once Akira's out, I would increase the temperature of the main tank, but ONLY once you know you have parasites to cook them/speed up their lifecycle.

Don't buy any anti-parasite medicated food. Most bettas HATE it. Mine especially.

Whatever tank you put him in for treatment, don't put any gravel in there.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:38 PM   #3 
cataze

I guess moving him to the 3G would make it easier to monitor his poop and what he is/isn't eating too.

So, how do I keep my cycle in my 20G from crashing while he's not in the tank?

He doesn't seem bloated at all, so I'm not sure if ES would help right now. I was thinking of picking up both PraziPro and the Metronidazole. I've read good things about them. Maybe start with the PraziPro...???

I'm done work in 1.5 hours, and I'm heading straight to my LFS, then straight home to get him in his hospital tank!
Old 08-09-2012, 01:45 PM   #4 
LebronTheBetta

It's already cycled so you don't have to worry about that. It's better to keep him in a smaller tank so you can treat him easier and it's also easier for him to breath. Medicated foods are technically the only way to solve this but that's my experience. I suggest "Jungle Anti Parasite Fizz Tabs" by Jungle. You just do the directions and put whatever food he likes best in it. Top it off with garlic juice so he has a better chance of eating it. Freeze Dried foods don't harbor any sickness so don't worry about that.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:16 PM   #5 
lvandert

you can treat with unscented epsom salt. 2 tsp per gallon works well.
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:19 PM   #6 
cataze

Unfortunately my LFS doesn't carry Jungle Anti Parasite Fizz Tabs. I read that API General Cure is PraziPro and Metronidazole in one shot. Maybe that's the best way to go. I'm not sure...
Old 08-09-2012, 02:22 PM   #7 
LebronTheBetta

^ +1 to Ivandert. The Epsom Salt would help to draw the excess fluids out.

@ Cataze
Search Jungle's Fizz Tabs' active ingredient and see if your other medicines have it. It'll work the same, probably.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:22 PM   #8 
lvandert

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvandert View Post
you can treat with unscented epsom salt. 2 tsp per gallon works well.
all big chain stores and most non chain stores carry unscented epsom salt. It helps clear internal parasite, and in my opinion is a bit safer than medications (its kinda a natural fix).
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:55 PM   #9 
cataze

Thank you so much!

I'm going to pick up Epsom Salt and some medication (probably API General Cure if I can't find the Jungle stuff). But I'll start out with the ES first, and see if he feels like eating tomorrow. If it doesn't seem to help, then I will start the medication. I don't want to medicate if I don't have to.

So 2 tsp ES per gallon of dechlorinated water, and I will do 100% water changes daily. So how many days should I have him in the ES? Is there a maximum?

Thanks again! I don't know what I would do without this forum!!!!

Cate
Old 08-09-2012, 02:58 PM   #10 
LebronTheBetta

Oh, OK. I'm sure it's 10 days to ensure no damage to the kidney. Get well soon!