Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-09-2012, 02:01 PM   #11 
lvandert

+1 Lebron. 10 days is the max you can do a salt treatment before it starts to affect organs
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:06 PM   #12 
cataze

10 days...got it!

BTW, I just read here (8th Question down) that the Jungle Parasite Clear Fizz Tabs are the same as the Tetra Parasite Guard. It looks like Tetra may have bought Jungle or something, and are transitioning it to the Tetra brand...???

So if my LFS has Tetra Parasite Guard, I'll pick that up!

I owe all of you!!!! :D
cataze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:13 PM   #13 
LebronTheBetta

Hm... If you really can't get the Jungle's one, I think you should give it a shot. Can you find the active ingredient?
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 09:56 PM   #14 
cataze

Well, I picked up Tetra Parasite Guard Fizz tabs at my LFS, and then went to Walmart to get epsom salt. I checked the pet dept while I was there (they don't sell pets at my Walmart, just food, etc.), and they had Jungle Parasite Clear. I looked at the package, and it has the exact same ingredients as the Tetra Parasite Guard (which are also almost identical to the ingredients in API General Cure). It also has pretty much identical wording on the package..looks like they're the same thing, but the Jungle brand is being transitioned to Tetra.

When I got home I quickly rinsed out my hospital tank, got it set up and got the dechlorinated water in. I disolved the epsom salt in a cup of water and then added it to the tank.

While I was waiting for the water to heat up, I went to check on Akira. Now he's definitely bloated. He wasn't this morning when I left for work. He is also breathing really heavily, which he wasn't doing this morning either. And he's so pale. I'm not sure if you can tell from my avatar, but he's normally green-blue and deep red with white. Now he just looks varying shades of beige.

I cupped him, acclimatized him by adding a little of the new tank water every few minutes over a 45 minute period, and finally put him in the tank. When I looked down at him I could see some scales that are lifted. I wouldn't say he's pineconing, but his scales aren't completely flat. I'm hoping it's just from the bloating, but I'm starting to fear for the worst. :(

Now he's resting in his little plant, still breathing heavily...maybe not quite as heavily as he was before. I'm hoping the epsom salt will make him more comfortable overnight.

I'm planning on doing a 50% water change before I go to work in the morning, and then I will do a 100% water change tomorrow night, adding more epsom salt.

Should I start treating with the Parasite Guard tomorrow? I'm not sure how to use it since the tabs are for 10 gallons, and I've only got about 2.5 gallons in the tank. Can you split the tabs? I don't have anything that holds 10G that I could use to pre-mix it.

Well, thank you all for your help, and your patience with all of my questions. I'll give an update in the morning.

Cate
Old 08-09-2012, 10:01 PM   #15 
lvandert

I would think you could cut the tabs into 4ths. I know they make a pill cutter, and one would work amazingly, but it's not something every has. A good sharp knife wuld probably do the trick. If he does have dropsy I believe marcylin 1 and 2 will sometimes help ( I would ask Sakura or OFL on that one).
Old 08-10-2012, 01:09 AM   #16 
cataze

Well, my worst fears came true. I went to check on Akira a little while ago, and he had passed away. I'm absolutely heartbroken. I never thought I could get so attached to a fish in just a few months....he had such a big, quirky personality.

This all happened so fast. I'm still not sure what happened. His scales aren't pineconing, so I don't think it was dropsy. Can internal parasites kill that fast?

What should I do with my tank? Does it need to be broken down and sterilized? Is there away to save my cycled filter media?

Thank you to everyone who helped me with my questions while I tried to help Akira.

Rest in peace, my sweet boy. I'll miss you!

Cate
Old 08-10-2012, 08:33 AM   #17 
sunlight

sorry for your loss :( He felt your love and was happy with you. I would really disinfect the tank if you going to rescue another betta. And also you need to disinfect everything in the tank.
sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:44 AM   #18 
cataze

Thank you for your kind thoughts.

How should I disinfect my tank? Is a vinegar solution sufficient? How much vinegar to water?

I have a Bio-Wheel filter...do I need to throw the Bio-Wheel out or just disinfect it?

Cate
Old 08-10-2012, 09:10 AM   #19 
lvandert

Oh I'm sorry! He was a fighter till the end though.

For your tank you can do a vinegar solution or a very diluted bleach solution. If you go the bleach route make you rinse a hundred times over and then once more, the vinegar you can just rinse until you don't smell it anymore. You'll also need to rinse the gravel and and decorations (except live plants). Any cartridges you have for the filter do need to be tossed and your cycle will have to be started over.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:02 AM   #20 
sunlight

it 10% of the bleach solution. But you can use it only for the tank itself. Silk plants or any ornamental decoration you can disinfection with vinegar solution.

The tank if you will use bleach you have to rinse hundred times like lvandert wrote, with hot,warm, cold water, wipe and rinse and let it stay in the sun for a few days to neutralize the bleach . When you will have disinfection solution in the tank(10% bleach) let it sit for minimum of 10 minutes.

Gravel i would buy new. Unless your gravel you sure absolutely smooth stones and don't have ridges where the vinegar solution can be left.

Any silk plants if you have or ornaments again i am afraid to disinfect any ornamental decorations with a lot of ridges you can disinfect with 50/50 vinegar.
Silky plants, plastic you can use BOILING water. Vinegar and boiling water mix. Boiling water only ,to kill bacteria. So vinegar solution mix let it sit cool down stir,rinse again thoroughly.

Don't use disinfection solution to disinfection live plants.

Last edited by sunlight; 08-10-2012 at 10:08 AM.
sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote