Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-09-2012, 12:38 AM   #1 
Unity

Fin Rot Advice

So I have a friend who asked me if I could help with her sick Betta. She would have just started my recommended treatment today and I am hoping there are some tips you may be able to lend me. She estimated the tank size but I have seen it and believe it to be close or correct.

Her substrate is decorative pearls and there is one little fake plant in there. Thanks in advance for any help. Here is the information dossier as best I can fill out.

Quote:
Housing
What size is your tank? 3.0

What temperature is your tank? 77 - 80

Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no

Is your tank heated? with a 17watt

What tank mates does your betta fish live with? NONE. We purchased a Marimo that is in quarantine - that will be given as a reward if he recovers.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega One Pellets

How often do you feed your betta fish? Once a day - but she may have been overfeeding using the "as much as your fish can eat in "X amount of time" that many labels use.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Every 2 weeks or when anything noticeably dirty appears.

What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%

What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? None after the initial sample of Stress Coat which came out of the box years ago.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

No water test for as far as I know, as long as the fish has lived.

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Shows signs of intermediate finrot. Still has plenty of fin but I believe it is relatively severe. I do not have pictures but will see if I can get one by tomorrow.

How has your betta fish's behavior changed? not noticeably

When did you start noticing the symptoms? Approximately a month ago

Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I am going to assume that the owner has started with a light substrate cleansing, daily 100% water changes using conditioner and treatment with AQ salt.

Does your fish have any history of being ill? No

How old is your fish (approximately)? Between 1 and 2 years old.
Unity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 09:49 AM   #2 
lvandert

alright. well for the fin rot I would recommend aq salt, stress coat and 100% water changes every other day (which it sounds like your basically there). If after 4-5 days it doesn't look better you'll have to get medication for that (I highly recommend AVOIDING the "fixes"; melafix, bettafix etc).

As or her general car of the fish he should be fed two pellets twice a day, any more and your asking for trouble. If you go over there and find him bloated get unscented epsom salt. and substitute that for the aq salt. It wont help with the fin rot but bloat is a more serious issue.
Also her water changes need to be more frequent. for an unfiltered 3 gallon she should be doing a 50% and 100% water change every WEEK. He's probably got a slight ammonia burn going in the gills already. the clean water and aq salt will help with that.
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 10:46 AM   #3 
Unity

Thank you - much of what I expected - although it is of course an easy course correction to make, I thought fin rot required daily changes?
Old 08-09-2012, 11:59 AM   #4 
lvandert

if you use medication you do, if you go the more natural route then your ok. The only reason I say every other day instead of everyday is because of tank size. A 3 gallon's water will go bad slower than a 1 gallon. Generally when fishies get sick they go into a 1 gallon hospital tank, which does require water changes every day. This guy is in a big bigger tank lol
Old 08-09-2012, 02:10 PM   #5 
Unity

Makes perfect sense. This is actually my first time with dealing with anything but some very minor pet store trauma. And I am not even treating the fish, just doing my best to help from afar.

Ivandert - based upon your experience is there anything that would signify something other than finrot when after looking at the pictures all I see are symptoms of fin rot? Severe rot may advance onto the body, correct? But is there anything that may blatantly indicate that we are not dealing with fin rot?

Thanks again for your time and help.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:17 PM   #6 
LebronTheBetta

^ +1 to Ivandert. AQ Salt will heal his fins in no time of 10 days.

If it's rot, there are black edges and keeps getting smaller. There's a chance of tail biting. It looks like pointy fins or crescent shaped marks.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:20 PM   #7 
lvandert

fin rot will look literally like the fin is rotting away. It'll look black and red at the edges. It can spread to the body in which case it's very difficult to pull them back from there, they would require meds right away.
If the fin it just "missing" as in there is missing fin but its not black or red then their just tail biting. If they have white fuzzies then its a fungal infection or cumularious (still a fungal thing).
Old 08-09-2012, 02:32 PM   #8 
Unity

Thanks again for your help everyone. I will post an update after a few days.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:38 PM   #9 
lvandert

yeah not a problem. If there is anything else you need feel free to message me. I'm usually on here a lot, but I'll be working a few hours every night for a few days.