Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-09-2012, 12:46 PM   #1 
Pearl2011

Betta keeps choking on pellets!!

My old, old betta, Swish keeps choking on pellets. He'll eat one and then the other one he'll get stuck in his mouth. He cant spit it out so I literally have to do the Heimlich on him. Get the net andpry it out. He has done it twice now and is not looking good. I might be getting AQ salt from my friend today (neighbor recommended it) and how should I use this? Length and amount? He is losing color and my sister saw him swimming up-side down on the bottom, he looks really pale and almost greyish. I am using Melafix at half dose (only thing I have right now, I'm broke and getting salt from my friend for a reason) and I am have two doses left 'till its done. He is sitting at the bottom and just floating a lot. And he just doesn't seem . . . himself. And what cons are there of using salt?
Thx! This is the from from TFK, but I believe it is the same.

1. Size of tank? 2 gallons

2. Water parameters
a. Ammonia?
b. Nitrite?
c. Nitrate?
d. pH, KH and GH? 6.8
e. Test kit? API

3. Temperature? 22C

4. FW (fresh water) or BW (brackish)? FW

5. How long the aquarium has been set up? 1 year 7 months 1week and 6 days.

6. What fish do you have? How many are in your tank? How big are they? How long have you had them? I male betta for 2y 7m

8. a. Any live plants? Fake plants? 1plastic plants
b. Sand, gravel, barebottom? Sand
c. Rocks, woods, fancy decors? Any hollow decors? No

9. a. Filtration? no
b. Heater? no

10. a. Lighting schedule? What lights are used?
b. Any sunlight exposure? How long? about half the day ?

11. a. Water change schedule? Weekly
b. Volume of water changed? 50%-100%
c. Well water, tap water, RO water? Tap water
d. Water conditioner used? Prime
e. Frequency of gravel/sand (if any) vacuumed? Every time but my gravel cleaner broke.

12. Foods? Pellets
How often are they fed? 2 pellets twice a day

13. a. Any abnormal signs/symptoms? Looking greyish and finrot
b. Appearance of poop? I cant tell
c. Appearance of gills? Fine

14. a. Have you treated your fish ahead of diagnosis? Yes
b. What meds were used? Melafix at half dose.

Pearl2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 12:50 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

You don't have to use salt. You don't even need any medication. Just do a 100% change right now. Melafix (Any -fix medicine actually) isn't recommended since it can harm their labyrinth which can KILL them. To prevent this from happening again, just crush up the pellets or feed him smaller pellets. There are no cons of AQ Salt except using it too much will harm their kidney. Don't use more than 10 days if using it.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:12 PM   #3 
Pearl2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
You don't have to use salt. You don't even need any medication. Just do a 100% change right now. Melafix (Any -fix medicine actually) isn't recommended since it can harm their labyrinth which can KILL them. To prevent this from happening again, just crush up the pellets or feed him smaller pellets. There are no cons of AQ Salt except using it too much will harm their kidney. Don't use more than 10 days if using it.
That why I'm using at half dose. His fin rot is almost at his body, so I needed to do something. And how much AQ salt should I use?
About the pellet, the ones I usually feed him are about 3 times the size of the one he choked on. He has never choked before.

GTG cousins here
Old 08-09-2012, 01:17 PM   #4 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl2011 View Post
That why I'm using at half dose. His fin rot is almost at his body, so I needed to do something. And how much AQ salt should I use?
About the pellet, the ones I usually feed him are about 3 times the size of the one he choked on. He has never choked before.

GTG cousins here
Use one tsp. of AQ salt dissolved in 1g of treated water. I put it in my one gallon containers first with my water conditioner. You don't want to add it right to the tank with the fish in it. He may just not be feeling well and having trouble eating. Maybe from age?
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:18 PM   #5 
LebronTheBetta

Oh, yeah. Just do a 100% change to get rid of the Melafix. And then dissolve the salt and put it in the tank. Then slowly acclimate and add your Betta. Melafix is just a antiseptic so it won't really cure and there's a chance about that damaging the labyrinth thing. 2 teaspoons per gallon is sufficient for this case. Sorry that happened to him. :( That's odd. Are you sure he's choking, not chewing? They do that up and down head bit to chew. Try crushing the pellets and see if he doesn't choke. Bye.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:21 PM   #6 
lvandert

+1 to lebron

crush up the pellets. For the fin rot, clean water, aquarium salt (1/2 tsp per gallon) and stress coat will clear that up.

You do need a heater, he's probably a bit cold in his tank which isn't going to help him get better. And for a two gallon you need to do a 50% water change every other day and one 100% water change once a week normally, now that he's sick I would be doing 100% water changes every day.
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:53 PM   #7 
Pearl2011

Is trying garlic soaked foods a good idea? I heard its an appetite enticer (I think that the word) and can help boost there immune system. I'll try bloodworms tomight to see if he can eat those.
Lebron, He not chewing. :( He usually does but it looks like it is getting stuck in between his lips. When he did it the first time he was swimming so fast and hitting the sides and surface. It was weird . . .

Ivandert (love your avie!!) I'll change the water today and assuming my freind is home (she hasnt emailed me back yet). Ill change the water daily since hes sick and will for sre up the percentage.

As much as I hope he'll come through, I have my doubts. Now time to research how to use garlic.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:58 PM   #8 
LebronTheBetta

Yes, garlic juice on your fish's foods entice them to eat. It also helps with their immune system and stuff. If only he was chewing. X-x Hope he gets better soon! And since he's old, try lowering the water level so he can get air easier. Or even a hammock so he doesn't have to put much effort in it.
Old 08-09-2012, 03:18 PM   #9 
Pearl2011

I saw him showing off for Bubbles! He can still swim to the top, he just did when I got up ti check on him. How would you make a hammock? There are the leaves of the plant he can rest on and there about half way up.

Going to get the AQ salt hopefully. See ya later! Or, er, type you later? Cause I wont actually see you?
Old 08-09-2012, 03:24 PM   #10 
LebronTheBetta

Like this: http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4055997
Type you later!? Lol