Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-09-2012, 04:16 PM   #1 
Sceven

Angry Stupid Ex-Coworker Sucks

So, my boy Tenzen (pictured to the left) was bought as my Office fishy, he was in a 1g bowl for all of about 2.5 seconds, I then got him a 2.5 heated and filtered tank that he loves.

At the same time my co-workers also bought Bettas for their desks. There was one "Mary" that had her fishy in the tiny bowls that they sell for them and his water was NEVER changed. Well she got canned and was complaining that her roommate had cats so she couldn't take him home. I agreed to keep him for a couple of weeks while she saved up the money to get him at least a 1g bowl with a lid. After almost a month I caved and bought him his own tank, he is mine now I have decided. She gets her hair done literally every week but can't afford to get her pet, that she was responsible for a proper home. She didn't even name him (I have named him Smog after the dragon in "The Hobbit")

After looking into his fin problems (because they where thrashed) I found out that of course! it was ammonia burns :(. Poor little guy. I have been treating it with some AQ salt and he is looking sooo much better.

I now feel terrible that I let it go so far, I should have known better and just gotten him a tank from the get go, she never really cared. Half of the time I needed to remind her to feed him. I will try to get a picture of him now to post later. On top of that, everyone else that got a fish, seems to be in lazy summer mode, I am changing 6 tanks a week! But I would rather take my lunch doing that then letting them suffer.

Just wanted to vent a little on stupid "Mary" and her disregard for life.
Sceven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 04:19 PM   #2 
KcSaf

props to you for being the better person.
KcSaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 04:20 PM   #3 
tpocicat

It makes me sad that these people think of bettas as decorations they can ignore.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 04:49 PM   #4 
Sceven

I know right! I am sad that his fins will never bee a beautiful as intended, but he is getting better, he is a lot more relaxed (because I don't try to make him fight me all day). And much happier. His tank has a lovely sunset picture of London for a backdrop, it helps him relax lol.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:51 PM   #5 
Myates

Kudos to you, at least someone cares and understands that fish are animals that need love and care too. Congrats on Smog, he is in much better hands with you!
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 04:54 PM   #6 
Seki

Aw, that's sad to hear. People who don't want the responsibility of a pet... shouldn't get one. Good for you for rescuing that poor little guy and helping him heal up. Bettas are resilient, so I'm sure he'll bounce back with some TLC!

Sometimes people just aren't fish people. When I had my first betta, Sheik, he got sick, and I was understandably depressed when he passed away. One of my coworkers asked me what was wrong, and I said my fish had died... she laughed at me. She said, "Okay, so it's dead. Get another one. I don't get why you're sad."

Needless to say, that coworker and I aren't exactly best friends...
Seki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 04:58 PM   #7 
Sceven

Thanks Myates! He has already improved so much.

Seki, I completely understand, I had a guinea pig eventually die from complications with skin mites after I rescued him, it was really sad for me. I told someone that I wasn't up to playing WoW with my group and she sat there and cussed at me and told me I was a waist because I wouldn't play. There is a special place in hell for people like that I think.
Old 08-09-2012, 05:15 PM   #8 
Myates

Ugh.. WoW..

I would talk to your other co-workers and try to teach them how to care properly for the fish, or straight out ask them for the fish if you able to care for them. If it becomes too much then possibly talk to a boss about it?
My boss' daughter recently was given two bettas together in one bowl from a friend.. then her daughter ended up giving them to a cousin.. I still have no idea if they are in the same bowl still or not. I'll find out Monday whether or not I can get them. I just can't believe someone just gives a living creature as a pet to another who didn't want one to care for in the first place, and then give them that way! Two bettas, one small bowl.. gah!
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 05:21 PM   #9 
Sakura8

I'm glad Smog has a better home now with you, Sceven. :)

tpocicat, do you remember the bettas at the Embassy hotel where the show was? Those bettas in those super tall, narrow vases on the front desk? I felt so sorry for them. :(
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 05:28 PM   #10 
Sceven

I actually had to get on my baby-sitters daughter, she wants to have bettas in her center pieces for her wedding. So I asked her "And what do you plan on doing with 15 bettas when this is over?" and I got "Oh I am going to let people in the wedding party take them as wedding favors." I had to explain to her that a living creature is not a pack of bubbles or mints, they aren't prizes, they are little fishes with BIG personalities. I in return got the evil bride stare.

I am happy there are a lot of people interested in Bettas all of a sudden, but people need to research before just buying one, or 15.

Last edited by Sceven; 08-09-2012 at 05:30 PM.