Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-09-2012, 05:45 PM   #1 
4everaspirit

Unhappy Melanie Is Bored :(

I have Melanie in a 5 gallon tank. She has 2 caves, and 7 plants, plus I threw in another clean pill bottle to give her something new to look in. Every week I clean her tank and rearrange the items. She likes that and is all curious as she remaps everything. But usually after a day she will become bored. She'll be interested in something new at first but soon she will quickly go up to the heater and rest on it. (She loves to rest there lol) and she'll just take a midday nap or something because I think she has seen it all in her tank.

Is there anything I can do for her :( I don't want her to get bored. The pet store is far away so I won't be going to it for awhile. Is there anything around the house or something I can do to maybe make her a bit more excited?

I do not have any of those ceramic pots, or ones that are not painted anyway. So yeah, any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you!
4everaspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 05:49 PM   #2 
Myates

A hand mirror to show her her reflection.. she may dance for it, flare or show the pale submissive stripes.
You can play with her.. use a toothpick or your fingers and make her chase a treat or piece of her food around before eating it.
Divide the tank (it is big enough) and give her a male or another female neighbor for company.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 05:57 PM   #3 
MistersMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
A hand mirror to show her her reflection.. she may dance for it, flare or show the pale submissive stripes.
You can play with her.. use a toothpick or your fingers and make her chase a treat or piece of her food around before eating it.
Divide the tank (it is big enough) and give her a male or another female neighbor for company.

++1
MistersMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 06:35 PM   #4 
KukaaKatchou

mine loves the betta hammock.
what about a little plastic ball she can push around on the top of the water?
KukaaKatchou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 06:42 PM   #5 
LebronTheBetta

Quote:
+1 to this but there are some things. You can't share the tank with a female and male unless your tank is heavily planted, massive filtration, and lots of decorations. As you can see, this tank doesn't accomplish these needs. Therefore, if you DO divide the tank without these necessary reasons, they will release hormones and they would either mate, or kill each other. Even if it is divided, they'll just try to jump no matter what. They would also go under stress because of this. I don't suggest this but it's your choice.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 06:47 PM   #6 
PaintedOaksOki

I've heard that ping pong balls are something some bettas like to play with, or those 'betta logs'. Some excercise their bettas with a mirror, for a few minutes a day, everyday, or every other day.
PaintedOaksOki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 06:54 PM   #7 
Myates

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
+1 to this but there are some things. You can't share the tank with a female and male unless your tank is heavily planted, massive filtration, and lots of decorations. As you can see, this tank doesn't accomplish these needs. Therefore, if you DO divide the tank without these necessary reasons, they will release hormones and they would either mate, or kill each other. Even if it is divided, they'll just try to jump no matter what. They would also go under stress because of this. I don't suggest this but it's your choice.
I have to disagree... it is possible to divide them in the same tank with no issues at all. The hormones won't factor, and to prevent jumping you can either create a cross section T at the top, or raise the divider/lower the water.
Having them in the same tank with a divider will cause them no more stress then having them in separate tanks next to one another. In fact, having a male/female combo can actually be less stress then having a male/male combo.
I have no idea why this has popped up more and more recently when it simply is not true that it is bad to have a male/female sharing a divided tank. And this comes from breeders and experienced keepers with decades of expertise in betta keeping.

Sharing a tank without a divider I agree is a no-no unless you have spent years breeding to accomplish it with passive siblings.

I have no idea why there will need to be massive filtration in a 5g tank divided.. a single filtration is all that is needed with regular water changes. Please explain more why it is needed, as from my study and keeping of fish for nearly 20 years has shown me different then what you are stating.

Edit to add: If the particular betta is a jumper, they will jump regardless what sex is on the other side.. a male will jump to the other side whether a male or female is there, and vise verse. It does not matter what sexes you have, if they are jumpers, they will jump. You always take precautions to make sure they can't jump over, regardless.

Last edited by Myates; 08-09-2012 at 07:02 PM.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:07 PM   #8 
MistersMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post

No no.... i have a male and female in the same tank, they love it, neither has stress stripes, and m=the one time my female jumped over, she didnt attack him or anything, just chilled at the bottom of the tank, neither had ripped fins, i think its much less stressful, i have 4 boys in my 20 gallon divided, and they flare more often at each other than my female and male do. and i dont think fish can really 'release hormones' O.o
MistersMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:12 PM   #9 
Myates

Females and males are good together.. I prefer having male/female with mine as they are a bit calmer that way then male/male.
Also added.. bettas actually produce very little when it comes to ammonias and such, so there is no need for massive filtration. One of the reasons they don't need filtration at all in tanks if one wishes not to use it.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:22 PM   #10 
LebronTheBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistersMom View Post
No no.... i have a male and female in the same tank, they love it, neither has stress stripes, and m=the one time my female jumped over, she didnt attack him or anything, just chilled at the bottom of the tank, neither had ripped fins, i think its much less stressful, i have 4 boys in my 20 gallon divided, and they flare more often at each other than my female and male do. and i dont think fish can really 'release hormones' O.o
Quote:
Females and males are good together.. I prefer having male/female with mine as they are a bit calmer that way then male/male.
Also added.. bettas actually produce very little when it comes to ammonias and such, so there is no need for massive filtration. One of the reasons they don't need filtration at all in tanks if one wishes not to use it.
Actually they can release hormones. They're called "Pheromones". They do release these and some people just have success such as Mo. It's just not recommended because of this. Just at the bottom? Probably submissive.

I know Bettas produce little amounts of ammonia. I was saying massive filtration because this can also filter out the hormones they release. They can sense each other with this.

It's a FACT that they produce these hormones. I've done research, I've heard from experts. I'm just saying it's not recommended and I'm telling you this of how it might work.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote