I've been doing a bit of reading in the forum on certain things, but I kinda wanted to get all my questions into one thread. So here goes. I was previously a betta owner...and I failed. I know a few ways that I would like to improve, but I need your help.
1) Space is still an issue. I know it's not ideal, but I'm going to try to get a 1.5 gallon tank (compared to 1 gal before) and hopefully will upgrade eventually. Mixed reviews on the Tetra 1.5 gallon Water Wonders tank. What do you think/any suggestions on another decent brand? Pros/cons on the Tetra?
2) IF I did get the Tetra, I wouldn't be cycling or filtering the water....I'll be doing water changes frequently. As long as I'm using a water conditioner, this shouldn't be a problem, correct? I have Aqueon water conditioner from my last betta. How often should 1.5 gals be changed? Every week? More often?
3) I also have various decorative elements that probably need to be disinfected from the last fish :( Any ideas on how to do this/is it possible? Can I appropriately disinfect ceramic (?) bridges or fake plants? The old net I used with a sick fish?
4) Gravel vs. sand vs. decorative stones. Which is best and what are the pros and cons of these? What is the best way to clean these elements during water changes and how often should they be replaced?
5) Silk plants are better than plastic, correct? Any good suggestions on where to buy some?
6) If my tank doesn't already come with a light, can I get some sort of clip-on LED that will hang over?
7) When does a heater become imperative? If the room temp is generally between 78-80, is this sufficient?
Any other important info would be helpful. I want to do my best with limited resources to give my betta a happier and healthier life.