Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-11-2012, 08:32 AM   #21 
MistersMom

okay Mr.hateful , geez, i wanted to help a fish in pain, and i QT my fish, im not stupid so no none of my other fish are even ill. have a soul.
MistersMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 11:48 AM   #22 
misty1477

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basement Bettas View Post
That's what happens when you buy a sick and diseased fish. He is dying. and now you have brought his sickness to your home and everything he and his water has come into contact with. Would suck to get a healthy one and have THEM get sick because stuff was in your fish room.

BUY HEALTHY FISH!! save them from disease and let the sick ones die!
WTH !!!! " ... and let the sick ones die!" ... I cannot believe you actually wrote that in your post!

Have you read some of the totally awesome rescue stories on this forum????? There are many many bettas that were in deplorable conditions, but are now living a happy and healthy life !!!

Fish/animal lovers do their best to save a creature in distress. If it passes away, at least they know they tried to help it.
misty1477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 11:57 AM   #23 
misty1477

OHHHHH....I see you are a "breeder" . Guess that is why you are against rescuing Bettas that are in the tiny cups at pet stores etc.
misty1477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 01:01 PM   #24 
MistersMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by misty1477 View Post
WTH !!!! " ... and let the sick ones die!" ... I cannot believe you actually wrote that in your post!

Have you read some of the totally awesome rescue stories on this forum????? There are many many bettas that were in deplorable conditions, but are now living a happy and healthy life !!!

Fish/animal lovers do their best to save a creature in distress. If it passes away, at least they know they tried to help it.
+1 !!
Old 08-11-2012, 01:08 PM   #25 
Basement Bettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by misty1477 View Post

OHHHHH....I see you are a "breeder" . Guess that is why you are against rescuing Bettas that are in the tiny cups at pet stores etc.
I am against buying sick fish anywhere. Yeah some get better. But reality is most get worse and now you have diseas in your home and tank. There is a lot of very resistent disease out there and your throwing all kinds of meds at a sick fish only makes the disease more resistent. You become part of a problem you are not even aware of. Salt is your cure all and you have no idea what it can and can't do. You throw meds not knowing what the heck is wrong with the fish and just make them miserable. There comes a point when these fish ARE dying. If you bought healthy stock and after months it gets sick it may be fairly easy to treat. But this purchasing a fish on deaths door with the hope and making it better is nuts. You want to do it.. fine. But you should at least know something so you don't have to go to a forum looking for answers and get crap like add salt and he is a tail biter. if the fish has something serious like mycos.. and it is more prevelent than you would believe.. vinegar, hot water and such will not get rid of it. It says on stuff for years.. ready to infect the healthy betta you finally bought. In time you just get fed up with the hobby and leave. You don't buy a half dead dog for a companion.. why the heck would you do that with a fish? Buy the most healthy fish you can and give that one a quality of life. Your heart is in the right place.. you just do not understand disease enough to realize the fire you can be walking into.

Being a "breeder" means I have seen my share of sick fish. I've bought healthy fish, I thought, from other breeders and seen what trying to treat that one fish has done with crap spreading in a fish room. And I'm anal about sterilizing.. more so lately. I've watch a friend destroy HUNDREDS of fish because they had mycos. Obtained fish from another breeder and tried to get healthy. Discus are not cheap.. that one fish cost this breeder not only sellable fish but the lines they had bred for years. You don't like my opinion.. that is fine. You just support the treatment of these fish. Do you not think if no one bought bettas half dead in cups things would change? No, they play on you and make a profit. To each his own. Most of the sick betta photos are fish that will be dead soon. Sorry if stating facts offends you.
Basement Bettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 01:14 PM   #26 
MistersMom

most of these sick or half dead fish are free, we wouldnt pay for something that may or may not live, and no your heartlessness it what makes me mad, we come here to learn from others, this is how we learn! we learn how to treat illnesses and etc. you dont need to come one here acting Superior to every one else especially knowledge wise, we all have knowledge some just in different things than others, im sorry about your fish dying but if your gonna act like your better than every one else, or smarter, or your simply trying to sell your fish, we do not care. its obnoxious to sit there behind a computer screen, and hurt people who's fish have already died and just tell them they shouldnt have tried to help from the start.
Old 08-11-2012, 01:22 PM   #27 
Basement Bettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistersMom View Post
okay Mr.hateful , geez, i wanted to help a fish in pain, and i QT my fish, im not stupid so no none of my other fish are even ill. have a soul.
I do have a soul. i have hundreds of bettas I have no use for at any point in time. And ALL but deformities are rehomed. And even a deformed one if there can be a quality of life. I am lucky to have an outlet. You get a loaded gun when you intentionally purchase a sick fish.

I've seen my share of sick fish. He died. Most of them do. I have very little patience for sick fish. Me.. got too much at stake. If not velvet I destroy them. Really not worth the time and money to try and figure out what is wrong with them. If he was a pet for a while it makes more sense to try and treat. But purchasing a problem is just asking for trouble. Why you want to introduce disease into your home is beyond me. People in fish pathology can not determine what is wrong with a fish just looking at it. They scrape skin. And when there are lots of fish with same issue they chop them up and do stains for bacteria and check internal organs. So.. if THEY have trouble diagnosing the CORRECT sickness without a LAB.. do you really think a forum like this is going to give you correct info? Epsom salt does NOT cure everything. Neither does aquarium salt. You are actually making a diseas that would have been killed off by salt salt resistent.

And what is wrong with buying healthy fish? Getting them out of a pet shop while still in good health makes more sense than trying to help one die slower.
Old 08-11-2012, 01:31 PM   #28 
Basement Bettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistersMom View Post
most of these sick or half dead fish are free, we wouldnt pay for something that may or may not live, and no your heartlessness it what makes me mad, we come here to learn from others, this is how we learn! we learn how to treat illnesses and etc. you dont need to come one here acting Superior to every one else especially knowledge wise, we all have knowledge some just in different things than others, im sorry about your fish dying but if your gonna act like your better than every one else, or smarter, or your simply trying to sell your fish, we do not care. its obnoxious to sit there behind a computer screen, and hurt people who's fish have already died and just tell them they shouldnt have tried to help from the start.
You are missing the point. Free or not you need to keep disease OUT of your home. I am not superior.. I just have people in the hobby with lots of fish as I do and I have seen what disease can do. You can learn from my and their experience or struggle with your sick fish.

I am not trying to sell my fish here at all. This is the last place i would be looking for business as not typically my clientel so to speak. I do not have a problem with someone wanting one of my "culls" to pay for shipping and get one of them. Have done that at times.

I am not heartless.. just stating facts. If facts and my belief that disease is best kept somewhere else hurt your feelings.. maybe you should toughen up. You should be able to read my statements and say "hmmm.. never considered that side of it" and go on. If you are going to play with sick fish I suggest you get a REALLY good book on pathology and disease. And try to hook up with a university that can help you with diagnosis. I don't make my statements out of ignorence. I have experience and those phd types in research as friends.
Old 08-11-2012, 01:43 PM   #29 
MistersMom

well, i have had sick fish, and guess what... the fin rot cleared up the fins grew back, the dropsy went away, each life is worth saving... at least i have eh kindness in my heart to let them have a nice few hours, and name them so they dont die without SOME love and care, and can experience a home bigger than a cup.
Old 08-11-2012, 01:51 PM   #30 
dramaqueen
Banned

I really don't think Basement Bettas is being rude. What she says may not be what anyone wants to hear. What she's concerned about is bringing disease into your home and not being able to get rid of it. Basement Bettas isn't tryng to be rude or act superior. She is a breeder with a lot of knowledge and experience. I'd take a fish from her any time.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote