Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-09-2012, 08:05 PM   #1 
edk911

New To Betta's - Here's my boys

Hi. Been hanging around for a little while now. My names Ben and I've had many tanks over the years with various fresh water tropical fish but these are my first bettas, got em last weekend.

The tank is a 25cm glass cube with a 25w heather, small filter and perspex divider that is 2/3 frosted with 1/3 clear at the font of the tank so whenever they are feeling energetic they can have a flare off and the rest of the time they can rest and relax in / on / under their plants. I've been keeping an eye on them to make sure they don't spend all their time in the front of the tank and exhaust themselves or stress out by constantly flaring at each other.

So here are the boys Larry (blue) on the left and Curly (red) on the right. Curly is recovering from the awful conditions of the LPS I rescued him from, he's had really badly clamped fins but with betta tonic he's starting to feel better and his fins are releasing. They're both still quite small at the moment but they're very active and ravenously eat the betta pellets and frozen bloodworms I've been feeding them.

I've got Indian almond leaves on the way as I've read that they're good to treat the water and I'm looking at buying a brine shrimp hatchery next week to feed them if they get constipated or just for variety.

Can one of you let me know if Curlys (red) tail transparency is new growth or tail rot ? I think you can see it reasonably clearly in the second last pic.

edk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 08:10 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

Hello and welcome to the forum. :)
That seems to be new growth. Fin Rot doesn't look like that so that's not it. BTW, how many gallons is your tank? And clear dividers aren't best for dividing. They'll get stressed due to seeing each other. IAL, (Indian Almond Leaves) will certainly help. They both look gorgeous! :3
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 08:21 PM   #3 
Twilight Storm

Nice fish :) Since the plexiglass is clear and they can see each other really well, they will probably get bored of each other and stop flaring at each other eventually. You might end up having to exercise them with a mirror when this happens.

Oh and btw-
Nice divider. I honestly never thought about making my own out of plexiglass. *smacks head* What clips did you use to hold it up? If you bought it, could you post a link for it please?
Twilight Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 08:26 PM   #4 
edk911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Storm View Post
Oh and btw-
Nice divider. I honestly never thought about making my own out of plexiglass. *smacks head* What clips did you use to hold it up? If you bought it, could you post a link for it please?
Thanks. Yes I bought them on ebay for $3 a pair. If you just pop in "fish tank divider" on the search you'll get a bunch of results depending on where you are located. I'm in australia but here is a link to one in the US. Make sure your plexiglass will fit them though, they come in different widths

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4X-DIVIDER-S...ht_1647wt_1180

Last edited by edk911; 08-09-2012 at 08:33 PM.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:33 PM   #5 
edk911

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
Hello and welcome to the forum. :)
That seems to be new growth. Fin Rot doesn't look like that so that's not it. BTW, how many gallons is your tank? And clear dividers aren't best for dividing. They'll get stressed due to seeing each other. IAL, (Indian Almond Leaves) will certainly help. They both look gorgeous! :3
Thanks. The tank is 15.6 litres or 4 US gallons. Plan on doing weekly 50% water changes. Which I think should work with a cycled tank with filtration.

Oh another question I have. If I put a couple of cherry shrimp in this to help clean up any excess food etc. should I add aeration?
Old 08-23-2012, 05:19 PM   #6 
edk911

Small update. I took the shrimp out of the tank and swapped them for a couple of smaller ones from the breeding tank, I didnt think there was enough algae and excess food to keep the big shrimp happy. Curly really really liked his new tank mate, walked back into the room 10 min after putting the shrimp in to see the shrimps head protruding from curlys mouth and he was om, nom, noming it. God I hope he can digest it, no food for curly for a couple of days and I'll be keeping an eye on him. Seriously I didn't even think they were small enough to fit in his mouth.
Old 08-23-2012, 05:52 PM   #7 
registereduser

Pretty boys!
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:03 PM   #8 
edk911

New home for the boys complete. Double the space for each of them and room for one more. Also got them a couple of housemates they won't eat....fingers crossed. The light is a temporary one for now, going to build a housing for it this weekend.

Old 08-28-2012, 11:38 PM   #9 
CandiceMM

Welcome to the addiction of Betta's and to this awesome forum!!! I love your tank and your new guys. They are so beautiful, they are very lucky to have an owner who already seems to know what they are doing. Congrats!!!
CandiceMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:55 PM   #10 
KevinPham123

Quote:
Originally Posted by edk911 View Post
Thanks. Yes I bought them on ebay for $3 a pair. If you just pop in "fish tank divider" on the search you'll get a bunch of results depending on where you are located. I'm in australia but here is a link to one in the US. Make sure your plexiglass will fit them though, they come in different widths

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4X-DIVIDER-S...ht_1647wt_1180
Aussie
KevinPham123 is offline   Reply With Quote