Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-06-2012, 11:50 PM   #1 
Rigio

Sickly betta

Hello, I just joined this forum to enlist some assistance with a diagnosis of my poor sickly betta.

Background: my girlfriend and I bought him from a pet store where they had him in a little clear cup. We spoke to a sales girl who informed us of what we needed for our little guy. we ended up buying a 0.5 gallon fish tank. after a month or two of having out little fishy he began getting bored/depressed and I started doing researching and I discovered a lot of information that i was shocked to have found. Most of my research suggested that the environment we had for him was cruel and inhumane. after the agreement of my partner we then went to the store and bought a 10 gallon fish tank equip with a light, filter and new 'toys' and fake plants (since added a real anubias plant). He seems much happier however we've since noticed he has developed these markings on him and I'm concerned about it.

I've done more research and cant decided what to diagnose him with thus not being able to treat the guy. I'll attach a picture if anyone can help identify this it would be much appreciated.

- Added.
We use;
Nutrafin cycle to assist with BB
Nutrafin aqua plus (water conditioner)
Attached Images

Last edited by Rigio; 08-07-2012 at 12:03 AM.
Rigio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:14 AM   #2 
Rigio

Sorry it wont let me edit this thread as I've exceeded the 20 min limit. Found this template in another thread.

Housing
What size is your tank? 10g
What temperature is your tank? 78F
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? anubias plant?/filter
Is your tank heated? No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None at the moment

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? I rotate him each day with, Flakes -> Blood worms -> mysis -> daphnia
How often do you feed your betta fish? once a day, skipping a day once a month

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Weekly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 10%-20%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Nutrafin cycle, nutrafin aqua plus, 1/8 tsp aquarium salt.
Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:0mg/L
Nitrite: 0.3mg/L
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment

How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Yes, near this rear tail there appears to be markings and a clamped dorsal fin
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? yes but since he moved to the new tank his behavior seems better
When did you start noticing the symptoms? week ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? no
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no
How old is your fish (approximately)? I've owned him for 2 months, however he was bought at a pet store as an adult.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:40 AM   #3 
PaintedOaksOki

I can't really see from the picture but looks like he is missing scales? If this is the case he may have rubbed against something.
PaintedOaksOki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:44 AM   #4 
Rigio

the patch has gotten less red over the past few days, however he has the same marking on both sides with a clamped dorsal fin.

I've not observed him scratching his scales on objects in the tank however i have seen him dart every so often
Old 08-07-2012, 12:59 AM   #5 
PaintedOaksOki

Hm, I do know that darting around the tank like so can be a sign of parasites. My betta did that too, if I turned the light on too suddenly in the morning, that was before I had my timer. If he's got that on both sides I don't really have much advice to give you, as I'm not an expert. What I can say is send OFL off a PM, she's experienced with a lot of betta fish scenarios, and will most likely be able to help ;) I hope your fish feels better!
Old 08-07-2012, 01:04 AM   #6 
Rigio

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintedOaksOki View Post
Hm, I do know that darting around the tank like so can be a sign of parasites. My betta did that too, if I turned the light on too suddenly in the morning, that was before I had my timer. If he's got that on both sides I don't really have much advice to give you, as I'm not an expert. What I can say is send OFL off a PM, she's experienced with a lot of betta fish scenarios, and will most likely be able to help ;) I hope your fish feels better!
Okay, will do. thanks for the response
Old 08-07-2012, 01:50 AM   #7 
PaintedOaksOki

You are welcome :) Sorry I could not be of much help.
Old 08-10-2012, 05:11 PM   #8 
Rigio

Updated photos
Attached Images

Old 08-10-2012, 05:28 PM   #9 
MyRainbowBettaFish

he seems to have stress stripes. If he is having trouble getting to the surface, lower the water level to a couple of inches. was your tank fully cycled? o ammonia, o nitrite, and some nitrate? Maybe get some AQ salt(NEVER household salt) and start a dosage of 1 tbs per 5 gallons. Good luck , and wish your little guy the best!
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 05:38 PM   #10 
Rigio

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyRainbowBettaFish View Post
he seems to have stress stripes. If he is having trouble getting to the surface, lower the water level to a couple of inches. was your tank fully cycled? o ammonia, o nitrite, and some nitrate? Maybe get some AQ salt(NEVER household salt) and start a dosage of 1 tbs per 5 gallons. Good luck , and wish your little guy the best!
His big tank is not fully cycled however he is currently in a quarantine tank with 3tsp/gallon of aq salt as per suggestion from OFL. He seems so depressed in this little tank though :(

monday august 6 - Amonia: 0 mg/L
NO2 - 0.3 mg/L

friday august 10 - Amonia 0 mg/l
NO2 - >0.3 mg/L

Ps. Which picture do you see 'stress stripes' and where so that I may identify next time I see them