Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-09-2012, 09:46 PM   #1 
Teambetta41299

Question Whats wrong with my betta??

okay; so i bought a dragonscale - crowntail betta from petsmart. i got him a 5 gallon tank with heater and filter. also a moss ball. (the lady said it would eat algae and the fish would like it). he seemed happy exploring his new tank. then he started to just hang around in certain places. later i noticed his fins were clamped. we went back to the petsmart and i asked about it. (the employees were not much help at all). but i got him some fungi medication cause they said it couldnt hurt. after coming home and giving him that i woke up the next morning and he seemed better than ever. his fins looked great and he was flaring all over. but he started acting bad again after the morning. at first i thought he was bloated and maybe constipated. he started sitting at the bottom and doing nothing for hours. he wouldnt eat either. eventually he just picked a spot and wouldnt move.

my theory; i think he might have velvet because i have bought two heaters since i had him. the first one wasnt adjustable... so i think the water temperature wasnt stable. but really im not sure.

~ anyone who has some expirience, i would greatly appreciate some insight. thanks!

Teambetta41299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 09:54 PM   #2 
Little Leaf

Location: In the wilderness! and my house sometimes. IT'S AWESOME, RIGHT?! *Wolf howl*
might be just depression or internal parasites (as I heard on bettatalk.com) I don't think it's velvet, shine a light on your betta, if you see any gold glitter, it's velvet.
Little Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 10:05 PM   #3 
Teambetta41299

thank you! do you think some tank mates would cheer him up? and ill try that tomorrow. thanks again!
Old 08-09-2012, 10:13 PM   #4 
Teambetta41299

Oh no... he might have velvet. im not sure if it was the flashlight on his white scales or that rusty look on him. :( poor fishy! how can i treat velvet, just in case?? i was too anxious to wait til morning..

Old 08-09-2012, 10:17 PM   #5 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

You should get something to check the temp of your water to be sure its at the correct temp, between 78 and 80 is good. He may just need a couple of days to adjust to his new home. How long have you had him in the 5 gallon tank ?

As far as a tank mate the only thing you might try is a snail or a shrimp but he might attack the shrimp some do and eat them even. Remember you would need to do extra water changes if you add a snail or shrimp to the tank because of more ammonia. How often are you doing your water changes and how much at a time ?
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 10:26 PM   #6 
shellieca
Reference Team

When was your last water change? Sounds like your tank is new & if so ammonia can build up & cause problems. Make sure that you're doing frequent water changes to keep the water safe for him. I hope it's not velvet & that everything turns out well.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 10:27 PM   #7 
Teambetta41299

hello persuesmom! thanks you so much, and i got him the second and changed his water once. about 20%. and his water is exactly 80.. and thanks for the tank mate ideas. i was thinking about a snail :)
Old 08-09-2012, 10:29 PM   #8 
Teambetta41299

shellieca, i think it was the third or fourth day i got him. and thank you, also thank you for the advice. it is new :/
Old 08-10-2012, 10:24 AM   #9 
Teambetta41299

Today my betta was in the same spot pretty much... but he seemed to have trouble going up for air! and his water looked bad (due to his medicine) so i changed probably about 50%. now hes just floating around with his mouth out of the water. i dont know what do to. he seems to be suffering alot... :( also, his fins seemed way thinner and more 'fringed'. some help please!!
Old 08-10-2012, 10:32 AM   #10 
Bettanewbie60

Personally I would remove him from the tank, do a 100% water change with conditioned water to remove the medication. You don't want to medicate without really knowing what is wrong. I think he just needed time to get used to his new digs. Once the tank is refilled, and the right temp, float the cup in the clean tank for a while to acclimate him...then reintroduce him to the tank and give him a couple days. With time, clean warm water, and a quiet environment he should adapt well. Don't worry if he doesn't eat right off...a couple of mine took over a week to relax enough to want to eat. I hope he's okay.
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diseases, sick, velvet