Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-09-2012, 08:54 PM   #1 
MistersMom

Swim Bladder? :(

I THINK I found out what was wrong, he may have swim bladder, what causes this? i saw him laying on his side, and when he goes to the top, he leans to one side, is this swim bladder? if so, how do i help him!?
MistersMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:36 AM   #2 
lvandert

2 tsp epsom salt. He should start showing signs of improvement by day 4 or 5. you can does that for up to 10 days
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 02:39 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

Is this the new rescue you just got or posted on that has fin rot and rapid breathing.......

If so-I would get him in Epsom salt (Not aquarium salt) with tannins in the small temporary cup he came in and float it in the heated tank to maintain temp in the 77-78F range for treatment and cover the top with plastic veggie wrap to help retain heat/humidity for the labyrinth organ. Be sure and attach the cup so it doesn't sink or get knocked around by a filter.

Premix some treatment water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water-Add Epsom salt 2tsp/gal and a tannin source-either IAL (1lrg crushed/gal) or dried Oak leaf (20 crushed/gal)-Let this steep for 30min so the salt can dissolve and tannins start to release.

Using the premixed Tx water make 25% water changes every 15min for 1 hour today-This will get him acclimated to the new chemistry and start the 10-14 day treatment.

Tomorrow-start 50% daily water changes using the premixed treatment water. If you used a tannin source the water should look darker every day.

Nutrition-good quality varied diet fed in small frequent meals. If you have access to live mosquito larva offer several rinsed several times a day-these will boost protein intake to promote healing and a strong immune response.

Swim bladder can be cause by several things-injury, bacteria, constipation, overfeeding, extreme temp or chemistry changes and genetic related and/or rearing method at the fish farm. Buoyancy issues can also be related to the labyrinth organ and/or result of too cool/dry air over the water.

Good luck.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 05:00 PM   #4 
MistersMom

Thank you 2 , but he died this afternoon while i was in school, but ill certainly save your tips... :/ i was really hoping i could save him, but at least his last few days were in a heated half gallon not a cold cup...
Old 08-10-2012, 05:02 PM   #5 
lvandert

awws, poor little guy. At least you gave him a good home for a few days.
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 05:08 PM   #6 
MistersMom

yeah, he was half gone when i got him, i just hoped he might still be able to pull through...