Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-18-2008, 07:26 PM   #1 
bobbysgrl

HELP! NEW BETTA HAVING TROUBLE!

I just added a new betta to my fish tank and she seems to be having trouble swimming. When she swims she seems to float back up to the top. I have another betta in the tank also, she is an older female and has chased my new addition around. Is my old betta going to kill my new one? And is my new fish going to die? I do not no the params but the temperature is around 75 to 80 degrees.
bobbysgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 07:35 PM   #2 
Cody

Re: HELP! NEW BETTA HAVING TROUBLE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbysgrl
I just added a new betta to my fish tank and she seems to be having trouble swimming. When she swims she seems to float back up to the top. I have another betta in the tank also, she is an older female and has chased my new addition around. Is my old betta going to kill my new one? And is my new fish going to die? I do not no the params but the temperature is around 75 to 80 degrees.
Size of the bowl?

I know female bettas shouldn't be kept with only 1 other - they do good in groups in 3 (preferably 4) at a time.
Cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 07:45 PM   #3 
bobbysgrl

A 1 gallon tank. But, that still doesn't solve the reason of why the fish floats vertically. I feel terrible....Should I take the new fish out of the tank and keep her separate?
Old 01-18-2008, 07:57 PM   #4 
Falina

you can't kep 2 bettas in a 1g tank, and imho shouldn't kep 1 in it. A 5g tank is minimum for me.

she is probably being bullied, causing her to be stresed and exhausted. bettas are teritorial, females as much as malesjust that they don't fight to the death in all cases. Chances are high your water parameter are bad as well with 2 fish in such a tiny tank. What are yur water paremeters/ This could cause her stress as wel.

My recmmendatin is either get a 5g tank and keep only one of the fish, or to get a 15g and keep a group of 6 to spread out agression.
Falina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 08:15 PM   #5 
bobbysgrl

I do not no the params and my one fish is absolutely fine in a 1 gallon tank. I have searched for different tanks at PetSmart, Wal-Mart, and Meijer and I plan on buying another or upgrading to a larger size.
Would it be possible to either buy another betta and introduce the two new ones with the old ones?
Or could I place both fish in the cups they originally came from then reintroduce them to the tank?
Old 01-18-2008, 08:33 PM   #6 
Falina

Quote:
I do not no the params and my one fish is absolutely fine in a 1 gallon tank. I have searched for different tanks at PetSmart, Wal-Mart, and Meijer and I plan on buying another or upgrading to a larger size.
Would it be possible to either buy another betta and introduce the two new ones with the old ones?
Or could I place both fish in the cups they originally came from then reintroduce them to the tank?
I really don't recommend it in such a small tank. I know this isn't what you want to hear but the tank is simply too small. I'm sure other members will be able to confirm this.

I also recommend buying a liquid test kit to test your paremeters. Small tanks are less stable, especially when overstocked. you will need to etst for amonia, nitrite, nitrate and ph. A master kit will test for these 4 and will last for absolutely ages.
Falina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 08:42 PM   #7 
bobbysgrl

They can live in extremities; this bowl is like heaven compared to what a fish lives in at a place like PetSmart or Wal-Mart.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:46 PM   #8 
Lupin

Location: Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Information Super Highway
Quote:
To answer your question, any new fish will be considered as intruders therefore any new fish will be attacked or harassed to death. How did you add the betta? If you did this in the dark, the old one won't likely see and eventually harassed the new one.
Quote:
A 1 gallon tank. But, that still doesn't solve the reason of why the fish floats vertically. I feel terrible....Should I take the new fish out of the tank and keep her separate?
Your fish is severely stressed. Please remove the new fish before she eventually dies from severe stress. The bowl is too small for two bettas I'm afraid.
Quote:
I do not no the params and my one fish is absolutely fine in a 1 gallon tank.
If you are referring to the old one, then it was already accustomed to your tank conditions.
Quote:
I have searched for different tanks at PetSmart, Wal-Mart, and Meijer and I plan on buying another or upgrading to a larger size.
Don't buy another betta until you sort out the current situation which is to isolate the new one from the old.
Quote:
That would be adding to stress.
Quote:
They can live in extremities; this bowl is like heaven compared to what a fish lives in at a place like PetSmart or Wal-Mart.
Could you please elaborate what you mean about "extremities"? I need your explanation before I try to make comments on this. How often do you replace the water? How much water do you replace? What foods do you feed them and how often do you feed them?

As for your water parameters, get an API liquid test kit and check your ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and pH. Without these, there is no way we can determine any more issues other than behavioral changes.

Falina was correct to mention that female bettas are typical like male bettas. They have various personalities so this makes them at times totally unpredictable in terms of how they behave towards their tankmates.
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 10:25 PM   #9 
Cody

Quote:
They say on the bowl cup that it is a temporary container.

Also, have you read Lupin's sticky on the main anabantids thread? It shows what conditions bettas really live in. That is what made me change my whole perspective on Bettas.

Yes, bettas are usually "hardy" fish, but people take this to the extreme and put them iv very small tanks with barely any swimming space.
Cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 12:12 AM   #10 
Lindsey88

Get another 1 gallon or more and seperate them. Males and females should not be kept together unless they are breeding. Females can be kept in communities of 4-6 (6 preferably) happily but this must be done in a 10 gallon or more heavily planted tank.
Lindsey88 is offline   Reply With Quote