Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-09-2012, 09:56 PM   #1 
Naiad

Inactive after moving tanks

I had my betta in a 10 gallon tank with 3 marigold platies. I had my betta first and I noticed him being overly aggressive towards the platies so put him in a bag and floated the bag in the 10 gallon tank while I set up a new 5.5 gallon tank with a heater and filter for him. Before moving him to the new tank, I floated the bag in the tank, slowly added tank water to the bag before placing him in the new tank. He has been in the new tank for almost two days, the first day he seemed normal and quite happy to be out of the bag. However, today I noticed him sitting on the bottom of the tank being incredibly still for long periods before swimming around a little and sitting still at the surface and then once again returning to the bottom. He's still eating, but his inactivity worries me because he is usually very active and inquisitive. I feel really bad for downgrading him to a smaller tank and I left all of his favourite plants and decor in the 10 gallon tank and I can't tell if he may be stressed from the new environment or if he's ill or stressed from the water.

On another note, my platies have been acting very stressed today as well (hiding, darting and swimming erratically), the only thing I can think of that has changed is that I put API pH 7.0 in both tanks. Both tanks had a pH of 6.5 before I put it in, and the pH is still at 6.5 in both tanks. I followed the dosage on the instructions and I've done partial water changes to both tanks and I have not added anymore pH 7.0

My 10 gal tank:
http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/a...alaw/10gal.jpg

5.5 gal tank:
http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/a...talaw/5gal.jpg
Naiad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 05:52 AM   #2 
MSG

Wow, your tanks are really nicely decorated.

Both of your tanks are gorgeous, I noticed even the filter intake is covered too.

-How long have these 2 tanks been running?
-What are you other water results?
-Ammonia/Nitrite/Nitrate?

If your betta has a favorite decoration from the other tank, switch it out. See if that makes a difference.

My halfmoon Akoya was using the stems of live plants as a shortcut to the surface, but that was right in front of the filter. I ended up throwing in a piece of driftwood and now whenever he wants to take a break, he climbs right on top

Akoya actually slept on the driftwood last night.

Also a PH of 6.5 isn't that bad. There's natural ways to raise the PH without using chemical drops.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 02:54 PM   #3 
Naiad

Thank you, I like to have my tanks densely planted because the fish seem to enjoy it.

The 10 gal as been running for about a month, and I think the issues with my platies was oxygen, I added an air pump and they seem much better.

The 5.5 gal has been running for less than a week, I didn't have anywhere to put my betta while setting it up and I needed to separate him from the platies ASAP. I also noticed today that he seems to have clamped fins and perhaps fin rot.

The ammonia, nitrite and nitrate I'm not sure about, should I get kits for them? I use prime as my dechlorinator and I do partial water changes at least once a week.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:03 PM   #4 
Naiad

His fins are definitely sticking together now and it looks like it's impeding his swimming. I've done a 70% water change, added 2 tsp of salt and 1 tsp of wide spectrum tonic, is there anything else I should do?
Old 08-11-2012, 05:47 PM   #5 
MSG

Don't add AQ salt to the main tank.

Take a picture of him while he's in the 5 gallon tank.

I don't know why he would b stressed UNLESS the water in the tank is off.

You've obviously taken the time to decorate it nice, but you NEED to test the water to make sure it's safe.

An aquarium test kit is essential if you want to keep your fish healthy.

Get a kit that checks for....
  • Ammonia
  • Nitrite
  • Nitrate
  • PH
BTW, are you using a water conditioner? If so what brand?

I wouldn't add anything else to the tank.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 12:35 PM   #6 
Naiad

My water conditioner is prime by seachem and I have a kit for pH. He seems active once again, and he's been eating as usual this whole time (I feed him frozen bloodworms and frozen brineshrimp). The only noticeable issue I can see now is that his fins are still sticking.