Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-10-2012, 12:30 AM   #1 
Jully

Exclamation Emergency!

A few hours ago I did a 100% water change because I was treating my friends betta for fin rot, I fed him "Nutrafin Betta food" in the morning I fed him 3 of these, and then to calm him down after a 100% water change around 7PM I fed him 1 extra "Nutrafin Betta food" now when I turned on the light, I noticed when he tries to swim down he floats back to the top, he has a bloated belly small but he didn't have this before, it's like he's been eating stuff in the tank. When I put my hand over the tank it really spooked him out, he swam so fast for 2 - 8 seconds and it was like he was shaking?

Please help, and I hope I didn't overfed him this never happened, this is the second time this happen but last time I only gave him 2 - 3 flakes? This is my friends betta, I am only taking care of him until her tank cycles and until she really fixes up her tank. He sometimes go sideways, I hope he isn't dying :(

Last edited by Jully; 08-10-2012 at 12:34 AM.
Jully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 01:09 AM   #2 
Jully

I like to mention I did a 100% water change, added Aquarium salt in. Then I left to go somewhere.
Jully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 01:11 AM   #3 
JessSH

Sounds like Swim Bladder Disorder. It's not fatal, just scary. I know becuase I've done it too! How long have you been taking care of him? Has it happened when your friend is taking care of him? Since it's happen I would really recommend getting better food, most bettas aren't too happy with flakes. The brand I use is Omega One Betta Buffet Pellets. 1 jar lasts forever & it's really cheap (under $3 at my PetCo). Also, bettas should be fasted a day a week to help avoid this. Also, watch their little bellies when they eat, when they just barely start to plump up, their done. Bettas' stomaches are only as big as their eye, so they only need a small amount. Bettas are piggies & will act like they are starving even when they have just been fed, so don't let them fool you into giving them more food. They're fine. For treatment of bloating & SBD I would use 1 tsp/gal of epsom salt. Also, I would fast him until he poops again. The longest I've had to wait with that combo is 4 days & then there was a TON to clean up. Keep an eye on him & lower the water level if it seems he's really having trouble swimming or getting air.

The following is from Darkmoon17's post in this section called Betta Fish Disease and Treatment Part 1 & 2. It's a sticky & find it VERY helpful:

Swim Bladder Disease (SBD)/Bloat
•Symptoms: Betta has trouble swimming, maybe he can’t stay upright and can only swim on his side.
•Treatment: This is not a contagious or fatal illness. If it isn’t congenital (aka a condition that he/she has had since birth), then it is caused by over feeding or feeding the wrong foods. Bettas will typically recover after a day or two of Epsom Salt treatments (1-2tsp/gal) and fasting. You can help prevent a reoccurrence by switching to a better pellet food, feeding less and offering a more varied diet. To make it easier for the betta to eat and breath, you can make the water shallower. You can offer him/her frozen daphnia (sold at Petsmart) as daphnia will help him/her pass stool. DO NOT FEED THEM PEAS.
JessSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 01:14 AM   #4 
JessSH

AQ salt is great for for external issues like fin rot (as is the 100% water change), so you're definitely treating that right, but it doesn't treat internal issues. Remeber, external is AQ salt, internal is epsom salt. I am not sure if you can mix the 2 though. I would wait for someone with more experience to answer that or search this forum. I'm sure it's been answered somewhere.
JessSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:43 AM   #5 
KevinPham123

The AQ treatment should only for about 10 days to my knowledge. Anymore than that and there can be issues, maybe also fatal.

Note: NEVER MIX AQ SALT WITH EPSOM SALT. I read this off another post on the forum. Heard its very bad.

Last edited by KevinPham123; 08-10-2012 at 04:58 AM.
KevinPham123 is offline   Reply With Quote