Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-10-2012, 02:40 AM   #1 
Link592

Exclamation dropped betta again! D:

I was cleaning out my betta tank, because both of them are recovering from finrot [divided 1/2 gallon ONLY for a bit] and then when I picked him up with my hands because the net ripped, he slipped out of my hand! He fell in the sink, and maybe hit a few plates or fell under, me and my brother quickly as we could lifted the plates and I found him I grabbed him and he was still moving! I slipped him in my hand and put him in my tank, for a few seconds he was flipping on his side, I put a tiny bit of aquarium salt in then put him in a dark room! Now my legs and arms are shaking, please help I am so scared I love my betta so much I dont want him to die ;( I dont know why I have been rough lately and been doing a horrible job ;( Please help, will he make it he some how got bloated. I had too do 2 100% water changes because there was something wrong, anyways please tell me he will make it.... I love my betta have been having so much bad luck, yesterday I dropped my blue boy in the sink when pouring him in a cup.

:( I am such a horrible owner, now I think my betta hates me forever and is going to be scared of me :(
Link592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 02:48 AM   #2 
tanseattle

Betta is strong. He will make it. I once picked up my betta with my hand and ripped his tail. I felt so bad and never again use my hand.
tanseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 02:57 AM   #3 
Link592

Okay :( He isn't floating on his side anymore he is just staying on the top swimming slowly, acting a bit normal. Just gotta let him rest in a dark room he is a bit laying on his side. I can't describe much :(

I think he's never going to trust me again, and I think he hates me.
Old 08-10-2012, 04:52 AM   #4 
Link592

He wont even move, even if I tap the glass he just stays at the top not doing anything :(
Old 08-10-2012, 05:26 AM   #5 
MSG

How did you rip your net?

-How much salt did you use?
-What kind of salt did you use?
-How long have you been using salt to treat his finrot?
-Did you treat the water with conditioner before you put the betta in the water?

I DON'T think you should pick up the betta with your hands because you can hurt him if you're not careful.

I recommend buying another net, hopefully one that's at least 2x the size of your betta.

Sounds like you dropped your betta in a kitchen sink with dirty dishes?
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 05:27 AM   #6 
KevinPham123

+1 with MSG lol. love the name mate. Anyways, don't worry too much about it. But did you say that you keep your 2 betta in a 1 gallon with a divider? If you do then that may be putting more stress now. If not, make sure to keep the water warm (80f recommended).
KevinPham123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:50 AM   #7 
RandyTheBettaFish

Ive dropped a few bettas, I wouldn't worry too much.
RandyTheBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:04 AM   #8 
GreyHounD

Leave it alone for sometime and let it get rest..

Poor fish, accidentally it happens to everyone.. mine fell 6 feet high.. good thing they survived and are doing quite well.
GreyHounD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:17 AM   #9 
ravenwinds

It's kind off odd when you read a post and go "well, at least it wasn't this..."
I have most of my 20+ bettas hand trained because, ironically, my experience has been opposite everyone else who already chimed in...stressed out and/or injured bettas from using nets...and yes, the nets are about 2x the size of the fish. All mine are HMS and I have found that they don't freak out about my hand if I place it into tank and hold still, they usually swim around once or twice and climb right in. I have small hands and I cup them gently, never squeeze around them and only for short trips. Saves me time having to replant their entire tank because the betta gets so agitated w/ net that aquascape gets torn up.
Cupping w/small container and scooping up surrounding water w/ betta works well too!
In fact, the one time that I dropped one of my bettas was when I used cup method...as I was removing full cup from tank, the silly fish jumped out and landed on floor...I wouldn't worry, your betta will more than likely be ok, they are tough little guys.
But: please do not remove fish from water while standing over a dirty dish filled sink!
Just keep monitoring him...but don't crowd him...give him time to recover quietly without feeling stared at.
ravenwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 01:27 AM   #10 
Link592

I have been treating him for 4 days with Aquarium Salt, even says "Heals tropical fish" on the box.