Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-10-2012, 08:16 PM   #1 
Cyanotoxin

Dead knocking the door! TB/Dropsy/Septicemia/Other?

I thought something was up with my fish so I posted in the Care board (link here: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....96#post1191196) but no resolution was reached and the situation has just become more urgent so I humbly request the expert help for the Disease board.

Housing
What size is your tank? 10 gal
What temperature is your tank? 87-88
Does your tank have a filter? Tetra Whisper 5-15 gal
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Just waterfall from filter
Is your tank heated? No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Same aged betta behind double wall divider. Tank mate appears to be in perfect health.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Tetramin
How often do you feed your betta fish? One per day back when he ate

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Weekly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 30%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? BettaSafe by Tetra

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

I use Tetra EasyStrips so I know they're not 100% accurate by they never even make it to the "safe" color, always staying at the "ideal" color. Approximations based on color bellow:

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: ~7.2
Hardness: 150 (definitely hard water here)
Alkalinity: ~100

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Used to be blue, turned silver during a fin rot episode, stayed silver. These days he rotates from silver to dark gray. I just noticed that his scales do appear to be very slightly raised compared to the other fish (can be seen against white background in 1st pic) but he does not seem to match the other aspects of either dropsy or of fish TB. I can also see his vasculature at the tail but it does not appear inflamed as in septicemia. He does sparkly very slightly (as in 2nd picture) under light but that does not look like velvet to me.

How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Lost alertness, became lethargic (sitting at the bottom), and lost interest in food day before yesterday. Keeps his mouth partially open. Seems like what you would call heavy breathing, maybe. Today he started floating vertically (head up tail down) at the bottom of the tank. He tries to lay back down on the bottom but his head floats back up sometimes.

When did you start noticing the symptoms? Day before yesterday.

Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Added 1 tsp/gallon aquarium salt to the tank. This was how we beat the fin rot last time.

Does your fish have any history of being ill? Fin rot was overcome two months ago. Color stayed silver. Fins regrew partially but growth stopped short of original length about a month ago.

How old is your fish (approximately)? At least 1.5 years old.
Attached Images

Last edited by Cyanotoxin; 08-10-2012 at 08:24 PM.
Cyanotoxin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:44 PM   #2 
MistersMom

Epson salt not aquarium salt, its a slight amount of fluid under his scales causing the 'dropsy'effect. if you really feel as if he is quite ill separate him so the other fish wont catch it, my fish was doing the same thing yesterday he died today, i would put him in lower water, so he can reach the top better, i dont think AQ is a good idea because its not seeming to be external it seems internal, do a 100% water change, and add epson salt if you ahve any if not ive heard walmart has it, if you have oak leave (dried) i would add one, if not, i dont know... i hope he makes it through the night, he may have swim bladder also, its hard to tell, ive had several fish pass form unknown causes... im sorry about yours and i hope he makes it through and gets his appetite back!
MistersMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:42 PM   #3 
kyasarin5

Can she treat him with maracyn II while he has the epsom salt in his hospital tank? I am wondering myself because I have a fish that is bloated and will be putting him in hospital tank with epsom salt 1 teaspoon per gallon.
kyasarin5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:43 PM   #4 
MistersMom

i wouldnt use the maracyn i would hold off on medications until hes getting a bit better, they can cause stress and spikes in the water parameters....
Old 08-10-2012, 11:45 PM   #5 
kyasarin5

thanks!
Old 08-10-2012, 11:47 PM   #6 
MistersMom

yeah... is the person who made the thread on here still ? because she may need to go ahead and start the Epson salt and what not...
Old 08-10-2012, 11:50 PM   #7 
kyasarin5

Says she is still online
Old 08-10-2012, 11:53 PM   #8 
MistersMom

i wouild think she would be concerned for her fish... maybe she's researching...
Old 08-10-2012, 11:57 PM   #9 
Cyanotoxin

He's not bloated, so there is no reason to use epson salt, not that I could get any at midnight in any case. The floating issues came much later than all the other problems, so water imbalance could not be the the cause, just another symptom. I used aquarium salt because that's what my responder on the Care board suggested and because I have had success with it in the past.
I don't think he will make it through the night because now he's sideways and seemingly dead except for short bursts of activity. He's in a shallow 0.5 gal and hopefully will at least pass peacefully before I figure out what to do.
Cyanotoxin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 12:06 AM   #10 
MistersMom

I'm so sorry, I'll pray for your little guy, i hope it makes it through the night!