Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-11-2012, 12:29 AM   #11 
Link592

I don't know if he's blind or death now, I hover my hand over the tank and he doesn't want to come up just stays in the bottom I have been keeping him in a warm dark room, still going to keep him in there for a few days.... When I tap gently [I understand they can hear 2x better] he doesn't even care? Sometimes he just stays there and floats up to the top? Even if he isn't bloated.

I still have to clean out his tank again because I put aquarium salt in :( So I don't want to stress him out.....even more
Link592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 12:48 AM   #12 
Htennek

Location: Somewhere between rage and serenity.... if I am not there, then I must be in the coffeehouse chat.
Have you fed him? If he eats, then he's not blind. Or do bettas use their sense of smell etc... ?
Htennek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 02:36 AM   #13 
ravenwinds

Aquarium Salt is the preferred treatment for outside injuries such as torn fins or scraped skin/scales...1-2teaspoons per gallon (can premix in gallon jug for ease of daily water changes)....don't use for more than 10days is usual standard reply here....I, against majority rule, use a smaller dose in all my tanks along with Prime...
I do hope he is feeling better, the AQ salt should help if it's only possible outside injuries.
If he was injured internally, I don't think he would have survived 4 days...he is improving isn't he?
ravenwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 03:00 AM   #14 
Jully

Raven, Link dropped the fish yesterday.

Link, if you have Nutrafin Aqua Plus, also put that in, I believe on the bottle it says "Patented stress reducing formula"
Jully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 04:06 AM   #15 
ravenwinds

My bad...forgot he was being treated before accident.
+1 jully....nutrafin is good product, I've used "Novaqua..." Brand (not sure on name) previously and it seemed to help.

I still think that he could feel your stress...if your overreacting, it could stress him more than just quiet and peace with little interaction...I know you have him in a warm and dark room but if it's very different than usual surroundings, it could stress him out, too!

As for blindness...I've a blind copper HM and a partial blind orange platinum dragon HM...they both eat fine...must use other senses.
ravenwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 06:55 AM   #16 
GreyHounD

My best advice that I can give is...

Indian Almond Leaves! It helps them relax I just started picking up those for my betta's thanks to Cjconcepion for noting its common name.
GreyHounD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 08:12 AM   #17 
shellieca
Reference Team

I never use nets on my Bettas, when they come to the surface I put the cup into the water & the Betta is "sucked" in with no problem. They also don't run from my hands so I can actually get them by hand if needed. I know some will completely disagree with me on this one but IMO to have healthy & happy Bettas they need to be in at the very minimum a 5g tank. I had a female in a 1g, due to my lack of knowledge & experience; she got a spot that went from bad to worse within 24hrs. I bit the bullet & bought a 2nd 10g tank, got her in it & she healed up really fast. 2 months later she's healthy & thriving living in a 46g community tank I bought shortly after the 10g because I needed to get my 2 males out of their 1g tanks which meant moving all 3 of my females out of their respective 10g tanks. They all LOVE the space & I love seeing them swimming around, stretching their fins.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 08:38 AM   #18 
dramaqueen
Banned

I use nets and never have any problems. They try to get away but I can usually catch them. I've dropped 2 of mine before. One was in his cup and I accidently knocked it off my dresser. He went under my dresser and his cup cracked in half. He was fine but his spine was bent because of it.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote