Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-10-2012, 05:15 AM   #1 
stephanier

sponge filters?

Since my betta's fins are getting torn from my current filter, I was thinking about switching to a sponge filter. I was pleased to find them very inexpensive on amazon. However, I don't know much about them so I was hoping someone who uses a sponge filter would be able to answer some questions:

Do they keep the water as clean/clear as a power fliter?

Do you have to replace the sponges, and if so how often?

Is the current it creates more manageable for a betta fish?

Do you recommend a certain brand or certain kind of sponge filter?
stephanier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 05:26 AM   #2 
stephanier

I also just found this thing on the petsmart website...it appears that it goes over the intake of a power filter...would this be a good solution?

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=3650250
Old 08-10-2012, 05:51 AM   #3 
JackisLost

I have used a sponge filter recently in my large tank and I don't like them as much as a small canister filter. I have used the zoo med 501 with that sponge you linked and its still my #1. I'm upgrading my small canister to a finnex px 360. To reduce the current I let the return fall strait down and block its path with some rocks and plants.
JackisLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:05 AM   #4 
athenr3134

i had bought aqueon 2.5 gallon mini bow desktop aquarium and it came with a filter it is a tad bit on the heavy flow but my betta doesn't mind it. he is seems very happy and its a sponge filter. i am thinking of getting a different filter tho.. the good thing is that this filter it came with can come out completely.
athenr3134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:38 AM   #5 
Kenny G

@ athenr3134 I have 2 of those tanks and all you have to do to reduce the flow is remove the black filter tube and put a piece of aquarium sponge in it. That's what I did and not its perfect.
Kenny G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 01:40 PM   #6 
athenr3134

thanks i will try that if it gets to be too much for him. he seems to be happy so far! :)
athenr3134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:40 PM   #7 
stephanier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny G View Post
@ athenr3134 I have 2 of those tanks and all you have to do to reduce the flow is remove the black filter tube and put a piece of aquarium sponge in it. That's what I did and not its perfect.
Thanks! I will try that!