Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-10-2012, 08:55 AM   #1 
DiiQue

My New Planted Tank.. FINALLY

So one of the locals was able to take me to take me to the hidden "fish market" which I called paradise and I was able to finally buy plants other than the amazon swords that I had in the tank for a couple of weeks. So I'm proud to show my new 5G NPT with my new HM betta (still thinking of a name). Enjoy!

Tank with just the swords (I was basically going to give up hope on being able to get more plants as none of the pet stores carried live ones):

Tank as it looks today:

Can anyone tell me what the name is of the short plant on the lower right? It's really nice and the betta loves hiding in that corner, but I forgot to ask the guy selling what it was called.

Anyways, now I have to buy Doctor Z a similarly sized tank as his is pale in comparison (I did add more plants though, but he deserves more space).

Dr. Z's tank:
DiiQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:39 AM   #2 
NapoleonUWS

Looks fantastic!
NapoleonUWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:45 AM   #3 
MyRainbowBettaFish

AMAZING! I feel like i am underwater in the rice paddies......
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:20 AM   #4 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Great job
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:42 AM   #5 
kfryman

What makes it an NPT? A NPT simply means soil based substrate. Yours seems just planted.

Looks very nice though, I would trim some of the plants down though so you can see that small sword or move it.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 01:22 PM   #6 
DiiQue

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfryman View Post
What makes it an NPT? A NPT simply means soil based substrate. Yours seems just planted.

Looks very nice though, I would trim some of the plants down though so you can see that small sword or move it.
Sorry for my newbness with the terms. =) I thought NPTs were any aquarium with live plants that were "planted" into the substrate, hence "planted tank", or in my case a newly planted tank. I'm using the CaribSea Eco-Complete substrate, so dont know if this would equal to the soil based substrate you mention.

So for it to be an actual NPT, I would have to use sand (like pool filtered sand others recommend) or actual soil?
Old 08-10-2012, 01:27 PM   #7 
Laki

Wow that's a tank to be proud of! Great job!
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 01:29 PM   #8 
laoshun

it has to have soil underneath and u can have sand over top.
laoshun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 01:31 PM   #9 
kfryman

You literally have soil in the tank, like in my sorority, and use something just to cap it, sand or gravel both work. A NPT stands for Naturally Planted Tank. Ecocomplete is Flourite, which is much different than dirt, but can still give you more benefits than just plain gravel or sand as it has nutrients in it.

People use pool filter sand to cap the soil so it doesn't just float up and it stays on the bottom.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 01:41 PM   #10 
DiiQue

Man you guys are fast. I did a google search for the meaning of NPT and of course, it stands for NATURAL Planted Tank... I thought it stood for NEW Planted Tank. LOL, now I feel stupid. Thanks for clarifying that for me so I don't go around telling people the wrong information.

Now I gotta see if they can ship the pool filter sand to me via APO, though the smallest I can find are 50lb bags and I just have a 5g and a 1.5g tank (soon to be another 5g)... my wife is not going to be happy. Oh well, gotta do what we gotta do for our watery friends. =)

Thanks again kfryman and laoshun for enlightening me!