Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-06-2012, 03:36 PM   #1 
PaintedOaksOki

10 Gal And Sorority?

I have a ten gallon tank sitting around, and I was thinking about getting 5 females to go in it! I've read the sticky, but still have a few questions.

-Since I am getting a puppy I was planning on cycling the rank of longer, will it cause issues? I plan on this so that neither the pup, nor bettas get ignored. When I mean a little longer I mean 4 weeks MAYBE 5 at most. 3 weeks may happen too... I will be doing the fish less cycles with fish food.

-How should introduce them to the tank? It says on the sticky add the least aggressive one first, but how will I know if I just picked them up from the store?

-Besides lots of silk, possibly live plants, and hidey places, what else should I grab? (besides filter, heater and lid)

-Any other tips are welcome! :D
PaintedOaksOki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:19 PM   #2 
PaintedOaksOki

Would of thought someone would of replied, usually someone replies in like a minute! lol
Old 08-06-2012, 09:44 PM   #3 
prodrumernate

as long as ur putting food in it to keep the cycle going it will be fine.

the way i fount out which of mine was least aggressive is sit them next to each other in a cup.watch them and see how they react.the one they dont bother to check out the others would be the least aggressive.and of course the ones that start flaring their gills and trying to bite thru the cup is the most aggressive.just becareful though putting them in the tank..

it may not work out..i had 1 girl who was just overly aggressive.i had to separate her completely and got another female to join in.

its bet to buy them from someone who bred them since they would be sisters and are more use to each other.i got mine from a pet store.and it worked out great.

other things i would grab that u didnt mention and want to make sure u do have is water conditioner that gets ride of chlorine etc...

as well as like a 1 gallon emergency tank.incase 1 gets sick or is too aggressive u have somewhere to put it in for quarantine.

with the fake plants.i would have atleast 1 dedicated to just floating.it will give the least aggressive girls a place to hide at the top so they can eat and get some air.

with the filter id try to get 1 that isnt high flowing.if so get something to make a baffle.there is a great sticky on here about making a baffle.to block the outlet of the water so not to create too much current for them.

thats pretty much all i can think of at the moment :)
prodrumernate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:47 PM   #4 
PaintedOaksOki

In the ten gallon I have I can adjust flow, what not, for the filter! Oh, and I do have a bottle of prime from my other fish! :D Turns out I won't start cycling until after the puppy's settled in, which probably won't happen a week or two after we get the pup; so I'll cycle for two-three weeks. I guess It'll be a solid month before I get my girls, as we only pick our puppy up on the 18th! lol
Thanks for your help!

EDIT: I have two spare five gallons, and another tank, 8 gallons, I think? That I have so if one is to aggressive problem solved xD

Last edited by PaintedOaksOki; 08-06-2012 at 09:50 PM.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:53 PM   #5 
prodrumernate

the cycle can take longer than 2 or 3 weeks.i just got done cycling my tank.i started the first week of july.finish 3 days ago.unless you seed the tank from another established tank..average cycle time is about 6 weeks.and can take up to 8 weeks if not more..i too have a 10 gallon.took about 4 weeks to cycle.first results i got for my cycle was july 6th.finished unofficially august 3rd....

no problem at all :)
Old 08-06-2012, 09:58 PM   #6 
PaintedOaksOki

Alright, the one tank is already cycled (8gal I believe) so I could take a seed from there! :D
Old 08-06-2012, 10:06 PM   #7 
prodrumernate

gravel,other filter media.anything like that would work from the other tank putting into the new..or even taking a new filter and putting it in there now.by the time u get the puppy settled in.the new filter will have media on it and ready to seed.cutting down the time of cycling in half.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:02 PM   #8 
PaintedOaksOki

My parents believe I'd loose interest when the puppy comes and forget about the tank... I wonder if they realize I planned the cycle the tank... Meh, they say they don't want to here about fish until after we get the dog, then I can start planning xD
I'll probably take a sponge from my dad's filter, and take my mossball back and put it into the new tank.. OH! I got this tank from my friends, who had used it before so the sponges have been used, I can tell... But bacteria may have died off? It hasn't been used in a while from what I understand.
To keep the cycle going I continue with the fish food right, even though I have the sponge, and moss ball, and gravel from my fish tank, as well as the fake plants I have?
Old 08-06-2012, 11:20 PM   #9 
prodrumernate

even if u were to loose interest.i know for a fact u post on craigslist.u will have tons of people wanting to get it :)

the moss ball will be good also.yes the bacteria is long dead.it may last just a couple days in the tank.but if its taken out.dies fairly fast.it would have to be kept in aquarium water.

also when cycling the tank.let the water sit in the tank for 24 hours before adding the filter to it to seed it or else anything in the water will kill it.like chlorine.

yes to keep the cycle going.just add some fish food.the beneficial bacteria survive on ammonia.which is created from decaying food and fish waste.

the more fake plants and decor,etc u have in ur tank.the better for the bacteria to grow on and help keep the water parameters at good levels.

also do u have a water testing kit?

that test for ammonia,nitrate,nitrite,and ph atleast?example is API freshwater master test kit.if ur dad already has an aquarium.he should have the test kit already.u will need it for the cycle.its an absolute must have item.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:31 AM   #10 
PaintedOaksOki

Yes we do we have a big one because my dad and I are into fish xD ACTUALLY I think we have the Master kit... It came in a big blue container, almost like a brief case but plastic lol. I've owned a betta before, who recently passed away, I have the nessicities already! I'll probably take a few plants from my dad's tank as his is literally FULL, lol well the bottom is. His java ferns are really nice :) He's got other plants too.

Even kijiji, there are people in my area wanting bettas, they seem to growing on a lot of people suddenly! Although I'd only sell to someone with experience, especially if I did have a sorority! I wouldn't want my fish in tiny bowls o.o