Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-10-2012, 05:37 PM   #1 
clarkk

Exclamation New tank and heater - advice??

Hi everyone! I just purchased a new, 2.5 gallon aquarium and a new heater for my precious baby, Vasco. I have a few questions.

First, has anyone used a ZOO MED BETTATHERM BETTA TANK HEATER before? It says it "increases water temperature 5-10 degrees over ambiant room temperature." What exactly does that mean? The pet store owner directed me to it. Also, is there any advice anyone can contribute to using it?

Second, how should I transfer my fish over to his new tank? Should I heat the water first and then float his bowl floating it to get him accustomed, or should I turn the heater on once I get Vasco in the tank?

Thank you for any help!!!
clarkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 05:48 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

I've never heard of that heater sorry. But I don't trust preset heaters. They would just overheat, or under heat. It means that what ever your room temperature is, it'll heat up the tank 5-10 degrees more than that. Like, the temperature is 75F and the maximum it would heat the water is up to 85F. Get the Hydor THEO instead, it's adjustable and keeps the tank very warm. I have it. :)

Don't you mean acclimating? Then yes, that's what you have to go through. Here's the acclimation process:
. Put the cup with the Betta inside into the tank. Wait 30 min. for him to adjust to the temperature.
. Take the cup out of the tank and put it near the tank on the same table.
. Pour out 50% of the water from the cup.
. Every 15 minutes, pour in some tank water into his cup. Repeat until his cup is full.
. Open the cup, and slowly let the Betta out into the tank.
^ That's it. :) You should always do this process whenever you do a 100% change or there is a completely different temperature difference between 2 waters. Sorry if it's confusing. Lol
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 05:50 PM   #3 
ukandy

Hi although i have no personal experience with these heaters reading a few reviews it doesnt exactly sound great. As for moving your betta you need to get the water to temperature then move him aclimatising him slowly.do you have a thermometer in your tank? I would use the heater but keep an eye on the temp.
ukandy is offline   Reply With Quote