Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-01-2012, 04:02 AM   #1 
BubbiBubba

Exclamation Tailbiting PROBLEMS!!!

In my other threads, I had been stressing immensely over how my betta would survive w/o food for an entire week while I was on vacation. (everyone said he would be "fine", + blocks & auto feeders are iffy & I have no good experience w/ those auto feeders) SO, I left him with no food & my deepest guilt.

WELL.

I came home to find Bubba still ALIVE *audible gasp* &, well... SHREDDED.

Once again.

His dorsal fin has taken the most damage, practically GONE now (which had honestly made me bawl since he was recovering SO WELL from the last tailbiting incident... such longgggg fins!) & his anal & other fins are bitten as well.

The remaining Amano shrimp was still alive, also. This made the whole family scream since we all swore it was eaten & dead by now. (The other Amano had molted & then "died" a week prior... Two days after settling in. No idea if Bubba tried eating him or if he died from shock... just found his carcass today. The molten shell I discarded ASAP the week prior) I am still very sad.

I did a 10-20% PWC w/ a tiny gravel vacuum clean & attempted to feed Bubba Hikari Betta Gold Pellets & Aqueon pellets... He was very lethargic (I came home at 10pm & had just woken him up in utter angst & anguish from being apart from him) & he WOULD NOT EAT. I was shocked, since he NEVER gives up food!!!

Finally I coaxed him into some frozen brine shrimp that he ate for the first time today (about to cry again from the relief that I bought these prior to leaving on vacay) & he already seems perkier.

I also added some Stress Coat.

I apologize immensely for such a long post, but what else should I do?! I bought the Amano(s) for maintenance, but mainly for Bubbas company since I thought he bit his tail out of boredom. Well, one is dead & I guess Bubba bites out of hunger now... He has always had a habit of biting! Sometimes he refrains for about a month... Then something happens and BAM. I feel like screaming.

WHAT DO I DO?!

Water Parameters:
- 5 gal
- fully cycled (FINALLY)
- heated
- filter
- 8 baby java ferns... SHOULD I BUY MORE?! (like adults) They're not getting any bigger! I think they maybe even dying a little after I moved them to this tank from the previous 1.5 plastic PetKeeper
- gravel & plastic jewels from Petco
- many hiding decor

Ammonia - 0ppm
Nitrites - 0ppm
NitrAtes - 10ppm
pH - 7.6

Please help, I am a fish mess.
BubbiBubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:11 AM   #2 
lvandert

just keep his water clean and wait it out. The fins will grow back. Keep an eye out for blackend and rotting ends or white fuzzies. Now that he has a few open spots something might try to set in.
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 01:57 AM   #3 
BubbiBubba

Thank you so much for the reply! Do you know any good ways to help a tail biter out? Besides clean water? Maybe some more plants...?
Old 08-02-2012, 09:39 AM   #4 
lvandert

More plants, less plants, new decorations, less decorations, rearranging old decorations, anxiety from not seeing you all the time, or just not liking his big heavy tail. There are many reasons why they tail bite. Which one solves this guys problem will be trial and error.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:43 AM   #5 
Laki

Like lvandert said, waiting it out in clean water is the best method. You can add more plants and things to hide in and weave around you can give him toys to peck at. Hopefully he heals up though :) Look for regrowth.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:23 AM   #6 
MSG

Did you ever post a picture of your tank? I'm curious to see how you decorated yours. I have a halfmoon with the T-biting issue. But he only started that a couple months after he was removed from the guppy & extinct shrimp tank.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 03:24 AM   #7 
BubbiBubba

I'm sorry but I have no idea how to upload a picture of my tank. I need a URL for it?! I cant just post it!

Ughh.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:39 AM   #8 
lvandert

when you reply hit the other bottom called "Go Advanced" If you scroll down a bit there is a section called "Attached files" Under that there us a button called "Manage Attachments" click that. When you do there should be a new window that pops up and from there you can "Choose Photos" and "Upload" them to teh website. Dont worry, when you close that window they are still on the post
Old 08-03-2012, 10:53 AM   #9 
BubbiBubba

This doesn't work on my phone... I'm guessing Ill have to import the image to my computer, and then somehow upload that picture AS a URL? I am so sorry but this is extremely confusing. How am I supposed to upload a URL when my image doesnt have its own link!

Please & thanks
Old 08-03-2012, 11:28 AM   #10 
lvandert

if their on your computer you can do the above ^ I don't think it works from a phone (if so I'm not sure how) but if you are on a computer and you have them on facebook or something, if you right click the picture it'll give you an option of "copy image URL" do that and then past it into here and it'll give the URL of the image. When we click on it we'll be taken to a page that shows the picture

Tags
feeder, help needed, java fern, tailbiting, vacation