Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-10-2012, 06:42 PM   #1 
homegrown terror

Odin (king betta) in livebearer community tank

in my opinion, if you've got the space, a king betta is the perfect betta for a community tank. he's extremely docile, never flares unless i put a mirror up to the tank, gets along with everyone, and is inquisitive as all hell. here's Odin in his little family: one sunburst wag platy, an orange balloon-belly platy, a golden twin bar platy, a silver molly and a marbled molly, as well as three little african dwarf frogs:

Odin posing for the camera:

Odin with Skadhi and Sunna:

homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:52 PM   #2 
Jessie1990

LOL I tried to keep cories with Leviathan (my first King) and he chased them around for about 30 minutes and kept biting them... so I had to give them away. I havn't tried any other fish with my other two kings, but one of them flares at me if I don't feed him on time. He is also super aggressive towards reflections and when he can see my other bettas, so i'm pretty sure he would not work in a community either. My smallest king may work in a community but he's in a divided 10. All my kings have a buddy nerite snail that they love. Roku actually ended up tail biting when I put the snail on the other side of the divide -_- So I had to buy 2 more. He is very attached for some reason. He follows the snail around all day.

I think it would really just depend on the betta like other tail types :P
Jessie1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:53 PM   #3 
Jessie1990

Oh and your betta looks exactly like Roku >< so maybe that has something to do with it :P
Old 08-10-2012, 07:34 PM   #4 
homegrown terror

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessie1990 View Post
Oh and your betta looks exactly like Roku >< so maybe that has something to do with it :P
king bettas are a very new breed, so there aren't a lot of color combinations out there...all but one that i've seen both in person and online have been the same red/bluegreen coloring.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:53 PM   #5 
CandiceMM

What a gentle giant! that is too cute :)
CandiceMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:09 PM   #6 
Jessie1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by homegrown terror View Post
king bettas are a very new breed, so there aren't a lot of color combinations out there...all but one that i've seen both in person and online have been the same red/bluegreen coloring.
Ah I suppose that is true for the regular Kings. I saw a purple one that I wanted really bad but I don't have space. My Halfmoon King, Leviathan, is either Mustard gas or a really wierd marble... he keeps changing. He's blue and yellow. Seraph is teal colored and HUGE.

I've noticed all the HM Kings are larger in size here also. Is that what distinguishes if they are HM or not? Size and color variety?

AND I love your platys! They are gorgeous. Do you have any pics of your whole tank?

Last edited by Jessie1990; 08-10-2012 at 09:11 PM.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:25 PM   #7 
homegrown terror

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessie1990 View Post
Ah I suppose that is true for the regular Kings. I saw a purple one that I wanted really bad but I don't have space. My Halfmoon King, Leviathan, is either Mustard gas or a really wierd marble... he keeps changing. He's blue and yellow. Seraph is teal colored and HUGE.

I've noticed all the HM Kings are larger in size here also. Is that what distinguishes if they are HM or not? Size and color variety?

AND I love your platys! They are gorgeous. Do you have any pics of your whole tank?
we've tried, but every time the pictures turn out blurry. think we need a real camera, not just a camera phone.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:25 PM   #8 
LittleWatty

My king is the same red with blue/green, but I like it :D it may be common for kings, but it looks unique XD My boy is currently with a pleco, and he just ignores it. Then again, its a very young albino BS pleco, and he blends in so well with the gravel, that I can't find him 90% of the time. So, maybe he just can't see it XD
LittleWatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:51 PM   #9 
homegrown terror

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWatty View Post
My king is the same red with blue/green, but I like it :D it may be common for kings, but it looks unique XD My boy is currently with a pleco, and he just ignores it. Then again, its a very young albino BS pleco, and he blends in so well with the gravel, that I can't find him 90% of the time. So, maybe he just can't see it XD
i'm pretty sure he know's it's there...bettas have very good eyesight, and a visual cortex that responds primarily to motion like a cat's, so if something's moving in his tank, it's a sure bet he knows.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:13 PM   #10 
LittleWatty

He really doesn't move all that much lol and its planted rather heavily... But, maybe he leaves it alone because I put them in at the same time, so he's willing to share
LittleWatty is offline   Reply With Quote