Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-10-2012, 07:08 PM   #1 
cjschmelzer909

"Companion" for a female betta

I've had a female VT for about a month now, and just moved her from a 2 gallon tank to a 5.5 gallon tank. I would really like to get her just one tank mate, if that's at all possible... I know you can keep female bettas together, but I heard that the rule of thumb is to keep them in odd numbers, e.g. 3 in a tank, 5 in a tank, etc. What other types of fish are okay to keep with bettas?

EDIT: Maybe I should give some details on my tank if that'll help...

5.5 gallons, heater kept at around 76-80 degrees, no filter (although I plan on getting a sponge filter as soon as I can), no live plants.

Last edited by cjschmelzer909; 08-10-2012 at 07:12 PM.
cjschmelzer909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:19 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

Not much. Sororities are only possible in tanks 10 gallon and up. You can't have any fish mates under 10 gallons, sorry. :( Only shrimps and snails. For a 5 gallon, a Nerite Snail is great for algae. No Mystery or Apples. Red Cherries and Ghosts are great shrimp for a tankmate. This tankmates can be eaten easily so... Remember, Bettas don't get lonely. They prefer to be by themselves.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:26 PM   #3 
cjschmelzer909

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
Not much. Sororities are only possible in tanks 10 gallon and up. You can't have any fish mates under 10 gallons, sorry. :( Only shrimps and snails. For a 5 gallon, a Nerite Snail is great for algae. No Mystery or Apples. Red Cherries and Ghosts are great shrimp for a tankmate. This tankmates can be eaten easily so... Remember, Bettas don't get lonely. They prefer to be by themselves.
I'm fine with snails and shrimp! Is it possible to have snails in a tank with a gravel substrate? I've been looking at videos on youtube and it seems all the ones I've seen have sand substrates with their snails.

Yeah, I realize bettas like to be loners... But I'd just like to have a little tiny community in this 5 gallon tank

Last edited by cjschmelzer909; 08-10-2012 at 07:30 PM.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:27 PM   #4 
LebronTheBetta

Yeah, it's fine. Just remember that Snails produce a lot of ammonia. Sometimes even more than Bettas. >.0
Old 08-10-2012, 07:31 PM   #5 
cjschmelzer909

Quote:
Yeah, it's fine. Just remember that Snails produce a lot of ammonia. Sometimes even more than Bettas. >.0
Would this require me to do water changes more often, before I invest in a filter? How are shrimp when it comes to ammonia?
Old 08-10-2012, 07:34 PM   #6 
LebronTheBetta

Maybe. Shrimp hardly produce any ammonia. Remember if you buy a tank mate, they may harbor disease. Shrimp may have parasites in their brains, (Ew... I know) and Snails might have babies.
Old 08-11-2012, 07:01 AM   #7 
cjschmelzer909

Quote:
Maybe. Shrimp hardly produce any ammonia. Remember if you buy a tank mate, they may harbor disease. Shrimp may have parasites in their brains, (Ew... I know) and Snails might have babies.
Ah, I see. How often does it happen that those diseases are transferred to the betta though?
Old 08-11-2012, 07:58 AM   #8 
shellieca
Reference Team

A Mystery snail rule of thumb is 2.5g per snail. I have them with my Bettas, the 1st few days they were picked on but things settled after that. I love the Mystery snails they're fun to watch. They won't lay eggs unless you have a male & female, one of the few snails that must have a male & female.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 09:33 AM   #9 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Hi...Yes you would have to do more changes with a snail in your tank and I would wait till you got a filter to get one if your going to. Do you have a top on your tank ? Bettas are known jumpers and a snail could climb out without a lid. Be sure and read about water changes for your 5 gallon, do a search at top of the forum. Enjoy your Betta they are awesome fish !
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 10:42 AM   #10 
Foofykitty

I have a female and have been thinking of getting a larger tank and some more females, so just wondering why you say you can't have them in less than a 10 gallon? And while I'm picking your brain, how many do you recommend having together?
Foofykitty is offline   Reply With Quote