Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-10-2012, 03:40 PM   #1 
Miko Hayashi

Question Maracyn Two Question

I just received my Mardel Maracyn Two medication and API Stress Coat in the mail the other day. I'm keeping my betta in a half gallon tank as his quarantine tank.

He just recently made a bubble nest, he's eating, and he's happy when he sees me so his behavior hasn't changed. His tail fin has chunks missing but it looks as if the tail is slowly healing. I can't tell for sure.

The Maracyn Two that I got is a powder packet with 8 packets in each. It says to put two packets in for every 10 gallons. Since he's in a half gallon, how much should I put in? A small amount of powder less than 1/8 of a teaspoon?
Miko Hayashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 06:55 PM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miko Hayashi View Post
I just received my Mardel Maracyn Two medication and API Stress Coat in the mail the other day. I'm keeping my betta in a half gallon tank as his quarantine tank.

He just recently made a bubble nest, he's eating, and he's happy when he sees me so his behavior hasn't changed. His tail fin has chunks missing but it looks as if the tail is slowly healing. I can't tell for sure.

The Maracyn Two that I got is a powder packet with 8 packets in each. It says to put two packets in for every 10 gallons. Since he's in a half gallon, how much should I put in? A small amount of powder less than 1/8 of a teaspoon?
I wouldn't bother with the meds. Typically if you keep the water clean they'll heal up just fine, IME & IMO. Why is he in QT? Is he going into a tank with other fish?
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 07:29 PM   #3 
Miko Hayashi

He's usually in a 3 gallon filterless tank but the half galloon QT tank makes it easier to administer the meds directly to the fish. He's battling fin rot and I don't know if the infection has stopped or if he's healing. Idk. I can't entirely tell.
Old 08-11-2012, 07:41 PM   #4 
shellieca
Reference Team

Personally I would've left him in the larger volume of water & just kept changing it. One of my females got some kind of "rot" on her body & I moved her to a 10g & did lots of water changes (the tank was also cycling) & she healed up fast with no meds. Someone else may have different opinion.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 07:42 PM   #5 
Miko Hayashi

I was hoping to move him back into his 3 gallon when his fins heal.
Old 08-12-2012, 01:05 AM   #6 
kyasarin5

I really like maracyn 2 for fin rot. For dosing the only really safe way I know to do it is to use some of his tank water and put some in a measuring glass. If I remember the dose right I think it is minocycline 10mg per packet. So you need 1mg per gallon so for your half gallon you need 1mg the first day and then 0.5mg the 2nd through the 5th day. So what you really need is 10ml measuring cup. Use a fresh clean unused medicine cup. Then add 10ml tank water, add the packet and you will have 1mg per ml. Get a medicine syringe and let the solution dissolve for 10 minutes and stir well. Then draw up 1ml the first day and then 0.5ml days 2 through 5.
kyasarin5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 01:06 AM   #7 
kyasarin5

I would use fresh solution every day though because I read somewhere the medicine starts losing its effectiveness the longer it is in water.
kyasarin5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 03:21 AM   #8 
Miko Hayashi

I will change the water then reapply the medication.