Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-10-2012, 09:24 PM   #1 
Meggie6347

Unhappy Baby betta

Hey everyone! So we have had a baby betta for about 8 months now, give or take...I will fill out the sticky before I do anything else...

Housing
What size is your tank? Almost 2 gallons
What temperature is your tank? Probably around 76-78...I currently don't have a thermometer in there.
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Not currently
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Just crushed up pellets...I tried getting her to eat live (well, frozen) food so many times...giving her small pieces. She would never eat it.
How often do you feed your betta fish? twice a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? At least once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Dechlorinator

Water Parameters
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:0
pH:7.8 ish
Hardness: Don't know
Alkalinity: Don't know

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Well she has always been VERY tiny...I think that her growth was stunted when we got her from her poor treatment in Petco before we got her. She BARELY grew, although she picked up a bit of color. She has never been more than about a centimeter long. And her head has always looked too big for her body, no matter what I did.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? She is laying at the bottom. Not eating. Not moving unless her tank is moved.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Either last night or the night before...I think it was last night.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No, not yet.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Everything about her is above
How old is your fish (approximately)? I have NO idea. Pretty young I'd think.

So is it possible that she was unhealthy in the first place and just slowly declined in the time that we have had her? Is there ANYTHING I can do? (besides putting her down...unfortunately I just can't do it )...

Thank you all for any help. Let me know if I am missing anything in my information.
Meg
Meggie6347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:11 PM   #2 
Maura

Can you post a picture please?
Maura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:26 PM   #3 
Meggie6347

I will try to get one up, but I cant right now....I did, however, take a few pictures when I first got her...she hasn't changed much, except she picked up the slightest shimmer of teal and only her head grew a little bit and like I said, it looked a little too big for her body. She is just laying on the ground, curled up a little bit...not curled from swim bladder. Thank you for your reply!

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?...1#entry3230052
Old 08-10-2012, 11:29 PM   #4 
Maura

I can't view the photos posted on that other thread. Is there any way you could upload them here?
Maura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:35 PM   #5 
DiiQue

You mentioned in the other forum that the temp was a constant 68-70 degrees. Do you have a heater? If not, you should have one as they should be in 78-80 degrees. Colder temps make them more prone to sickness. Not saying this would have caused the stunted growth, but warmer water will make them more active, colorful and just plain healthier.
DiiQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:56 PM   #6 
Meggie6347

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiiQue View Post
You mentioned in the other forum that the temp was a constant 68-70 degrees. Do you have a heater? If not, you should have one as they should be in 78-80 degrees. Colder temps make them more prone to sickness. Not saying this would have caused the stunted growth, but warmer water will make them more active, colorful and just plain healthier.
I'm sorry, I can't upload those pictures again... They were on my desktop and I erased them a long time ago. I will try to get a picture tonight? Don't know if I can though...it's hard to see her with the naked eye! But I will try! Sorry the what I said about the temp was a long time ago....it is warmer now. But I have an extra heater, I think....I will pop it in there if I can find it.
Old 08-11-2012, 02:44 AM   #7 
Tikibirds

Here is a growth chart

Baby's give off a growth stunting hormone and frequent water changes are required to remove it. If she is 8 months old, she/he should be fully grown...

it is very possible that the baby was sick/deformed when you got it. Alot of people have not had luck keeping them alive from what I have heard on here. I have mine in a breeders net in a 20G tank. He wasn't growing till I put him in the 20G. However I occasionally find an adult female in the breeders nest with him >.<

All I can think of is, try doing a 100% water change and clean out the gravel. Add back in the water conditioner and slowly acclimate the baby back into the new water.

EDITED:

Is it smaller then this?

Last edited by Tikibirds; 08-11-2012 at 02:52 AM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 04:09 AM   #8 
LittleBettaFish

See if you can find some live blackworms. My juvenile bettas and fry cannot resist the wriggling action of live worms. Plus they are incredibly good at putting condition and size on young bettas. As soon as I get my fry onto them the increase in growth rate is pretty obvious.

I would try spreading out your water changes to several smaller ones throughout the week rather than two big ones. If your betta is still very small, changing all the water out at once without slow acclimatisation could be stressing it out.

Also I think your betta would have to be bigger than 1cm. Did you mean an inch? I doubt that it would be able to survive the conditions at a pet store if it was only a cm in size.

If it is truly that small you are going to need to possible hatch some BBS or purchase a grindal worm culture. Grindals are a good food for older fry and I feed mine up on high-protein fish and cat food.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 02:11 PM   #9 
Meggie6347

Thanks everyone for the quick replies! And no, when I got her she really was just about a cm...maybe a little more. One of the tiniest I have seen...she grew to just under an inch ish in the time we had her.

I can't find her this morning so I think she finally let go. I will let you know. Wondering if I ever wantto get a baby betta again and hope she is not hurt from the store when I get her? I don't know.. :/

Thank you all,
Meg
Old 08-12-2012, 12:09 AM   #10 
Tikibirds

Awwwh :(

I seen some really tiny ones yesterday - to tiny and vunerable to be shipped overseas and left to rot in a cold cup on a shelf. I think thats why so many people have had problems with keeping them alive...IMO
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote