Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-10-2012, 11:00 PM   #1 
MummyR

Please help - serious tail emergency

First time poster here, hi everyone.

My beautiful half moon boy Zeus had a beautiful tail yesterday, a stunning fuschia pink with white edging half moon he was swimming gracefully, very happy and then today he has been in his cave all morning so I lifted the cave to get him out and saw that he is not able to swim properly upwards to the surface and then he went on the side and I noticed half of his tail, the moon part that joins the tail is missing and he now looks like a veil tail.

He is the sole fish, nothing else resides in his 5 gallon tank, not even a little snail, how could this of happened overnight?

My water parameters are fine, I am a very experienced tropical fish keeper with many tanks, but I have never seen anything like this before, especially so rapidly. I cannot even find the missing part of his tail in his tank??

Will it grow back? What is his future for survival? And what can I do to help him. I am so upset I am crying

Please help my Zeus. I will try to attached photos..

The 1st pic is yesterday flaring at a mirror. 2nd pic is of today
Attached Images

MummyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:05 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

Looks bitten. I think he's Tail Biting.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:11 PM   #3 
MummyR

Why would he do that? He is very loved and spoilt and treated with absolute care. How could he possibly reach it?

Is it something that I have done, is he unhappy? My daughter's betta is so happy and full of beans, exactly the same set up and treatment in her own room, but has done nothing of the sort??
Old 08-10-2012, 11:23 PM   #4 
LebronTheBetta

I don't know. It's usually because of stress and boredom. I don't think he would get bored. It's either that or ripped. Are there any decorations in there that can rip his tail? And is there a tank light? It'll grow back, stop crying! He's going to be fine. Fill this out as well: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233
Old 08-10-2012, 11:53 PM   #5 
MistersMom

it looks like his fins are clamped actually. Lebron do you think so? if you look closely, i know your much more experienced but nothing looks missing, just clamped.. wich means he's uncomfortable about something, have you checked your water parameters ?
MistersMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:55 PM   #6 
LebronTheBetta

It is but I think the tail also got smaller. Which is it Mummy?
Old 08-10-2012, 11:58 PM   #7 
MistersMom

measure it lol.... i dont know, may be both, but AQ salt should fix either. so... lol... AQ salt...
Old 08-11-2012, 12:02 AM   #8 
MummyR

Thanks for the replies.

It could be clamped at the top, but the tail is missing a good chunk of it sadly.

No decorations that it could of got ripped, just a cave that has no sharp edges and then just some driftwood with Anubias growing on it, thats it.

I have stopped shedding the tears now that I know it will grow back and that he will be ok! I am just very attached to all of my pets and I am also a nurse, I can't stand to see anything in any sort of distress or pain, it breaks my heart!

I am also guessing he probably won't want to eat for a couple of days now due to eating that huge chunk?

I will go and get something for the water today also to help the healing process.
Old 08-11-2012, 12:08 AM   #9 
MistersMom

Get AQ salt, and yes he will eat, even if he bit his tail, its the nutrition from the food they need not the sense of being full.... Lebron may have some better things for you to pick up also, but i only use AQ salt lol
Old 08-11-2012, 12:09 AM   #10 
LebronTheBetta

He still might eat. Is he still at the bottom of the tank? And if it IS Tail Biting, you should make him stop since he could still bite his tail in the hospital tank. Move him to a hospital tank and see what he does. Anubias won't handle the Aquarium Salt very well.