Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-10-2012, 11:04 PM   #1 
PaintedOaksOki

Red face First Rescue Tomorrow!

So, I've managed to convince my parents (this took little to no convincing xD) to let me rescue this sad looking 'halfmoon' although right about now he looks more like a plakat! He wasn't to responsive and I had to almost tap the cup by his face, before he'd barely flutter his fins.

I plan on buying a 1gallon hospital tank for him to live in until he's looking healthy enough, and strong enough, to go in my 5 gallon!

For treatment I plan on starting off with either 10 days of AQ salt, or API
General Cure(which should I try first?) and then giving him a day or two rest before proceding with the other.

For food I plan on feeding Omega One Betta Buffet, and NLS pellets, on an alternating schedule (I can post it once I make that) and the odd FD blood worm.(Once he's on the mend of course!)

Once the fin rot is gone, I will continue to make sure his water his warm and keep it clean!

As for water changes what are your suggestions? There will be no filter for him in the 1gal. Every day %100 water change?

I forgot to mention he will have a mini heater, (Assuming I can find one) a thermometer and a fake plant!
Does this sound good?

Last edited by PaintedOaksOki; 08-10-2012 at 11:13 PM.
PaintedOaksOki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:52 PM   #2 
PaintedOaksOki

OH! One question I have forgotten: Should I put him straight in the five gallon, skip out on the 1 gal? Or would it be best for him in the 1 gal?
Old 08-11-2012, 01:40 AM   #3 
PaintedOaksOki

I know you guys are busy, but if I can get an answer before I go to the store, it'd be great! :D
Old 08-11-2012, 02:28 AM   #4 
kfryman

Is there a fish in the 5 gallon first of all?

It would probably be better to use a 1 gallon though, a five gallon if not setup already, would do fine half filled, as it just means less stuff to buy.

I would do Aquasalt then acess him while he is in the tank. watch out for diseases, you should know the symptoms just because with a fish beaten up so badly there could be more lurking.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 04:03 AM   #5 
Basement Bettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintedOaksOki View Post
So, I've managed to convince my parents (this took little to no convincing xD) to let me rescue this sad looking 'halfmoon' although right about now he looks more like a plakat! He wasn't to responsive and I had to almost tap the cup by his face, before he'd barely flutter his fins.

?
Why do you want to "rescue" a half dead and probably diseased fish? Why not buy a healthy one and keep him from the disease the other probably has? You are gonna spend $$ on meds and risk contaminating tank and everythig with it.. for a sad little betta?

Does not make sense. Your next post will be "what is wrong with ny bettas - please help" Already has fin rot. Have you seen all the posts on people trying to get rid of THAT stuff and the fish still dies. Let this one go and prevent a good one from the same fate. If you'll pay shipping I'll send you a good one.

Last edited by Basement Bettas; 08-11-2012 at 04:05 AM.
Basement Bettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 12:30 PM   #6 
PaintedOaksOki

This little guy was doing a lot better than some those other fish on that shelf. I know the risks as to what can go wrong, so I am willing to do this. I do plan on looking at a few other fish there just in case I see one who is a bit better shape than that little guy.

There is no other fish in my five gallon, it is currently empty. I'll make sure to start with the AQ salt first! With AQ salt it's a tsp./per gallon, with %100 every day?

Last edited by PaintedOaksOki; 08-11-2012 at 12:44 PM.
Old 08-11-2012, 01:01 PM   #7 
misty1477

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basement Bettas View Post
Why do you want to "rescue" a half dead and probably diseased fish? Why not buy a healthy one and keep him from the disease the other probably has? You are gonna spend $$ on meds and risk contaminating tank and everythig with it.. for a sad little betta?

Does not make sense. Your next post will be "what is wrong with ny bettas - please help" Already has fin rot. Have you seen all the posts on people trying to get rid of THAT stuff and the fish still dies. Let this one go and prevent a good one from the same fate. If you'll pay shipping I'll send you a good one.
Here you go again. What an aweful way to advertise your breeding/selling info. Yes...I checked out your website.
misty1477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 01:13 PM   #8 
misty1477

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintedOaksOki View Post
This little guy was doing a lot better than some those other fish on that shelf. I know the risks as to what can go wrong, so I am willing to do this. I do plan on looking at a few other fish there just in case I see one who is a bit better shape than that little guy.

There is no other fish in my five gallon, it is currently empty. I'll make sure to start with the AQ salt first! With AQ salt it's a tsp./per gallon, with %100 every day?
I wish you all the best with your new rescue. Search the forums and/or see if the other betta-lovers who do rescue respond to your thread. OldFishLady always has good advice and there are many many others also. And check out lelei 's thread about 'another rescue fishy in the house ...'

I am kind of new and this forum has helped me alot.
misty1477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 01:16 PM   #9 
PaintedOaksOki

Alright thanks! Yes, this place seems to be this best place to come to or help!
Old 08-11-2012, 01:30 PM   #10 
Basement Bettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by misty1477 View Post
Here you go again. What an aweful way to advertise your breeding/selling info. Yes...I checked out your website.
And you have NO idea what bringing disease into a fish room can do. Meds are expensive. And throwing meds at a dying fish just makes their last days miserable. Most of you do not understand what the meds do, how they affect biological filtration, think salt is a cure all for everyting and all fish bite tails. There is some serious and resistent stuff out there and your throwing meds at it just makes it more resistent. And some things stick around on gravel and plants. Reality is you are not doing the fish any favors.. just tormenting its final days. Buy the most vigerous and healthy fish you can. If NONE of them are healthy find another shop. Just because I have hundreds of fish at any one time does not mean I support irresponsible fish keeping. And the fact that I have more betta fish right now than most of you will have in your lifetime should tell you I have seen good, bad and ugly in disease with these fish. Buy the sick fish, just don't ask for help tormenting his final days. If you can't look at him and say it is "xxx" disease and have a sure course of treatment.. let him die in peace. If you got to aks for "help" you have no place buying him.

And I'm not promoting my fish here. I have a lot of info on my sites for betta people that are interested in breeding to a standard. The shows are posted there with links.. so is convention. And the info on how to get ready for shows for a person is there also. Want to culture live foods.. info is there. I am a resource for people serious about bettas. You don't like my opinions on sick fish.. I really don't care. It does not deny the fact that I still provide useful info for those in my hobby on my sites.
Basement Bettas is offline   Reply With Quote