Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-11-2012, 02:37 PM   #21 
dramaqueen
Banned

I don't feel that Basement Bettas is being rude here. She's giving her honest opinion. I can see things both ways. A person who rescues a sick betta usually has their heart in the right place but I have to agree with BB about medicating when you really have no idea what the fish has. On the other hand I have seen people rescue fish that made amazing recoveries.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 02:44 PM   #22 
MistersMom

like CandiceMM's fish...
MistersMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 02:45 PM   #23 
Tikibirds

Quote:
Why do you want to "rescue" a half dead and probably diseased fish? Why not buy a healthy one and keep him from the disease the other probably has? You are gonna spend $$ on meds and risk contaminating tank and everythig with it.. for a sad little betta?
Because it gives us a warm feeling inside to watch a "half dead and diseased" betta transform into something beautiful.

*points to avatar* He was pink, had an ammonia level that turned the test water Blue and had basically no fins.

why would someone want to spend $20 on a fish and then another $35 or more for shipping for one AB fish??
Actually, I can see WHY people would but I like getting local ones that need TLC.

Anyways, I would figure out what's wrong with him before medicating. He might just need clean, warm water...and some AQ salt probably wouldn't hurt unless he has internal parasites or swim bladder issues

If you have access to somelace that sells API meds, it might be a good idea to have furan 2 or triple sulfa on hand- just in case.

Last edited by Tikibirds; 08-11-2012 at 02:55 PM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 03:02 PM   #24 
misty1477

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikibirds View Post
Because it gives up a warm feeling inside to watch a "half dead and diseased" betta transform into something beautiful.

*points to avatar* He was pink, had an ammonia level that turned the test water Blue and had basically no fins.

why would someone want to spend $20 on a fish and then another $35 or more for shipping for one AB fish??

Anyways, I would figure out what's wrong with him before medicating. He might just need clean, warm water...and some AQ salt probably wouldn't hurt unless he has internal parasites or swim bladder issues
Agree 100% ... BB doesn't seem to understand that most of us here do not have a zillion fish to take care of. We are just into how beautiful and personable bettas are and want to help at least one if we can. Kudos to our members that research the forum for info before they decide and/or know what to do.

I wonder if BB has read the success threads (such as yours and lelei's). I give a zillion thumbs-up and my Sparkle gives fins-up to all of us on this forum ... except for **.

BB has turned members that need help threads into a 'we don't want you here BB' campaign. How sad it is.
misty1477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 03:05 PM   #25 
PaintedOaksOki

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistersMom View Post
vinegar ? in your fishes water!? O.o wont that kill them?!?!

and i agree too! and thanks for agreeing with my post lol
No, I'm using the vinegar/water mix to disinfect my tank, and I thoroughly rinsed everything off afterwards! lol I knew that was going to confuse someone!
PaintedOaksOki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 03:08 PM   #26 
PaintedOaksOki

O.o one moment I was asking questions the next a whole bunch of people have started a mini campaign... xD

I can visibly see that he has finrot, I plan on using AQ salt first.
Old 08-11-2012, 03:14 PM   #27 
LionCalie

Basement Bettas has every right to be a member of this forum. It is unfair to speak for everyone by saying "we" do not want her here. I rescue Bettas when I can, but I can still see her point. Believe it or not, but she is just trying to help and share her opinion. It is rude to attack her character just because you disagree.

Lets try to keep it civil.
LionCalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 03:17 PM   #28 
MistersMom

Good luck with you fishy, i hope it all goes great, and yes, it confused me, i confuse easily lol.
MistersMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 03:20 PM   #29 
PaintedOaksOki

I get confused easily too xD Everything is now set up and I am off to get him here shortly!
Old 08-11-2012, 03:25 PM   #30 
Basement Bettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by misty1477 View Post
Agree 100% ... BB doesn't seem to understand that most of us here do not have a zillion fish to take care of. We are just into how beautiful and personable bettas are and want to help at least one if we can. Kudos to our members that research the forum for info before they decide and/or know what to do.

I wonder if BB has read the success threads (such as yours and lelei's). I give a zillion thumbs-up and my Sparkle gives fins-up to all of us on this forum ... except for **.

BB has turned members that need help threads into a 'we don't want you here BB' campaign. How sad it is.
there are always success. BUT.. the reality is it is not all that often. And you really have NO idea what you are dealing with. And why doesn't buying a healthy fish make you feel warm and fuzzy? I'm all for helping a betta with a loving home. But WHY does it have to be a sick one? Can you not put that effort into something else? All those bettas come out of Thailand. Ever see those farms? They are not sterile but open containers and ponds. Most of the imports we get in as breeders do not last long. They get funk and usually pass shortly. And these are the kings of the trade. Imagine the pawns.. the veils and pet shop fish. They cost a pet shop about sixteen cents. There is a LOT of stuff that rides in on those fish. Talk to someone in the fish disease field and see what they are up against. and the hobbiest that throws meds at an ill betta is only making the big picture more difficult. You are creating super strains thatin time could wipe out an industry. I'm sure very few people will think that far out when they purchase that fish. To each his own.

And if you don't want me here that's fine too. Go buy lots of epsom salts for your tail biters and contaminate your fish rooms.
Basement Bettas is offline   Reply With Quote