Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-11-2012, 08:41 AM   #1 
GFarra

Zeolite?

Hi All,

I was in Petco last night an saw these 2 products, aliong with the same from other brand names like Marineland and API.

http://www.petco.com/product/119149/...t=OnSiteSearch

http://www.petco.com/product/119150/...t=OnSiteSearch

I have a air pump operated Whister 3i filter in a 1.5g tank. Can I use these products to supplement the Whisper filter to enhance ammonia reduction in the tank? I was thinking of using a teabag sized peice of pantyhose and slipping it into the filter housing behind the cartridge so that the water flow first goes through this media and then through the cartridge.

Thoughts?

TIA

George
GFarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 05:06 PM   #2 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Hmm, how long has the tank been set up? Do you know you have an ammonia problem? Chances are if you're doing your water changes there isn't too much need for this.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:23 AM   #3 
GFarra

Hi Olympia

I have 2 tanks but both are unfiltered. One is a 1.5g and the other a 5g. I do a WC routine on the 1.5g every other day (30% and 100% alternating). My routine on the 5g is 2 changes a week again 30% and 100% alternating.

I was wondering if this product is useful as a secondary support mechanism to controlling ammonia in the tank. Often I find myself travelling for work and missing a WC. So I thought adding this to the tanks may help??

I will eventually get a filter running on the 5g tank, but I doubt I'll have the time to dedicate to establishing a cycle in the 1.5g.

TIA

George
Old 08-22-2012, 08:30 AM   #4 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

If you are doing 100% changes on your tanks, trying out the zeolite isn't a bad idea. However, by this point you probably have a somewhat cycled tank- if your 100% changes don't involve scrubbing every single surface down completely, you probably have bacteria growing in some areas as it is.

Later on, when you want to cycle your 5 gallon, I would stop using this product, as the ammonia is for the bacteria and this product could starve your bacteria.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:45 AM   #5 
GFarra

Thanks, I think I'm going to give this a try in the smaller tank (1.5g) with the Whisper 3i filter. I like this little filter since I use a gang valve to slow the output down and my betta doesnt mind the gentle flow. The tank is a Tetra cube so the current gets stirred up quickly.

My 5 gallon will get a filter shortly and I'll get it cycled so I agree this product wouldnt be needed in the cycled 5 gallon setup with a filter

Thanks again for your help

George