Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-11-2012, 11:42 AM   #1 
Foofykitty

Question Maybe a strange question

So I have a 35 gallon tank, ive been using nutrafin cycle to prep the tank (recommended by my lsf, great ppl i might add :) ) once the tank is cycled, what do i need to do to maintain it until i get fish in it?
Foofykitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 12:33 PM   #2 
MSG

Watch the video it explains everything.

http://www.hagen.com/uk/aquatic/nutr...ndex_info.html

• What size container did you get of the Nutrafin Cycle?
  • You have Hex or Penta Tank?
  • When did you start using the NF Cycle product?
I'm always wary of using chemicals products to jumpstart things.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 12:34 PM   #3 
Pearl2011

Those instant cycle thing are crud. The only effective ones, I believe are biro-sfira (idk how to spell it) and stability. You have to do a fish-in cycle or use it with ammonia.
And the LFS people, are they nice, or are they actually knowledgeable? There is one gril at my LFS, she is one of the nicest people ive met, but couldn't tell me a thing about the plants. Except she thought one was a sword. So not very helpful. But another guy knows his fish stuff, but is kind of quiet and answer in one word sentences.
Pearl2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 02:21 PM   #4 
Foofykitty

Ive used it in my 10 gal tank with no problems. They are very reputable people, they maintain aquariums for clients and you can even "rent" fully setup tanks from them and they maintain them. They use it in their tanks all the time.
Foofykitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 11:15 PM   #5 
Silverfang

that cycle stuff is useless, either use pure ammonia, or do a fish in cycle (not as recommended).
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 11:43 PM   #6 
thekoimaiden

If this stuff does work, you will need to maintain the tank with an ammonia source. This can be fish or shrimp (probably not the best choice since they have a very small bioload) or snails.

A good way to test if it is actually working, find pure ammonia, and add it to the tank. If your water tests clean for ammonia the next day, then this product is actually working. Technology has come a long way and some products can help speed up a cycle, but the only ones I've heard positive reviews about are Seachem Stability and Dr Tim's One and Only. Even if someone claims to be a great aquarist, I always double check the advice of people trying to sell me something.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 06:49 AM   #7 
Hallyx
Reference Team

There are only three products that contain the actual nitrifying bacteria that will cycle a system: filter plus tank (mostly filter).

Dr Tim's One-and-Only and Tetra Safestart both contain nitrosomonas and nitrospira. I can't remember the third one.

Stability, Cycle and others have heterotrophic microbes that can assist in the cycle. But only those three have the autotrophic bacteria a cycle needs.

That said, I've never had the chance to use them, although I've heard of some success among members here. I recommend obtaining seeded media (bacteria infused gravel or filter sponge) to kickstart your cycle.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:12 AM   #8 
shellieca
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foofykitty View Post
So I have a 35 gallon tank, ive been using nutrafin cycle to prep the tank (recommended by my lsf, great ppl i might add :) ) once the tank is cycled, what do i need to do to maintain it until i get fish in it?
Even though you used a starter please check your water to make sure the tank is cycled. Use a liquid test as strips are not very accurate. If you are going to be waiting a while before adding fish you'll need to maintain an ammo source to feed the BB and you'll want to retest the water & do a water change the day of or day before adding fish. Make sure to acclimate the fish properly before adding and don't add a bunch of fish at one time as their bio load can overwhelm the BB & cause problems.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote