Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-11-2012, 01:24 PM   #11 
lvandert

pooping is a good sign. along with swelling going down. If he starts to get worse stop treatment. Also if you have any snails remove them before treating, snails don't like salt
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 01:27 PM   #12 
Alcemistnv

Okay thanks :)
And no there are no snails, just Pudge xD
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 03:27 PM   #13 
Alcemistnv

So I tried taking Buddha out of his tank and we ended up pretty much fighting with each other for a good 15 minutes. I tried just about every method and all it did was leave Buddha stressed and with some missing fin pieces.

I noticed that's he's not bloated anymore. How that happened is beyond me. But right now he's scared and hiding fromme. I feel terrible, so I just let him be. If there was parasites,and somehow they passed when he freaked out, what do I do? D:

And if I do continue to try the Epsom is it harmful if I just use it in the 5 gallon where Pudge is as well?

And if someone could tell my why my filter is dropping water from behind the cartridge, that'd be great as well
Old 08-11-2012, 04:23 PM   #14 
lvandert

He might have been constipated. Was his poop white and stringy or normal? You might have to dig around for it and see. I personally wouldn't treat the whole tank because why treat something if it isn't sick? As for the filter; I honestly wouldn't know.
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 04:54 PM   #15 
Alcemistnv

I can't find his poop t-t

I'll definitely check it out when I clean the tank. And that is true. Thanks for all your help!
Old 08-11-2012, 06:50 PM   #16 
Myates

I don't know how or why you thought he had parasites.. from a white belly?
You do realize that sometimes when a betta's belly is extended it can turn a lighter color, right?

Must likely you are over feeding him, and/or feeding him lower quality food that is causing the bloated look.. some extension is fine after a meal.
The reason his belly doesn't look bloated anymore is pretty much because you forced a laxative on him and he expelled what was in him.
Not all bloated bellies means there is anything wrong with the fish.. I have an old male who with age, his back has curved downwards a lot causing his belly to look really big. If I threw his photo up here people will start telling me he has six different diseases.
Not your fault that you were told it could be parasites without any actual signs of parasites.. but would be careful in the future. Also, never do treatments in the home tank unless it is something such as ich, velvet or a fungal attack.. luckily ES salt is gentle enough for the bettas to live in it indefinitely, but it doesn't mean they should, and with any salt treatment you should be doing daily 100% water changes, why a small hospital tank is a must when owning fish.

Good luck with everything, glad he is doing better.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 10:06 PM   #17 
Alcemistnv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
I don't know how or why you thought he had parasites.. from a white belly?
You do realize that sometimes when a betta's belly is extended it can turn a lighter color, right?

Must likely you are over feeding him, and/or feeding him lower quality food that is causing the bloated look.. some extension is fine after a meal.
The reason his belly doesn't look bloated anymore is pretty much because you forced a laxative on him and he expelled what was in him.
Not all bloated bellies means there is anything wrong with the fish.. I have an old male who with age, his back has curved downwards a lot causing his belly to look really big. If I threw his photo up here people will start telling me he has six different diseases.
Not your fault that you were told it could be parasites without any actual signs of parasites.. but would be careful in the future. Also, never do treatments in the home tank unless it is something such as ich, velvet or a fungal attack.. luckily ES salt is gentle enough for the bettas to live in it indefinitely, but it doesn't mean they should, and with any salt treatment you should be doing daily 100% water changes, why a small hospital tank is a must when owning fish.

Good luck with everything, glad he is doing better.

He actually wasn't put in the Epsom salt yet, I couldn't get him ouut of the tank because he was flipping out beyond what I thought was safe.

And he was never as bloated as he was now, so I was woried it was something worse than just being bloated.

Thank you very much :)