Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-11-2012, 12:09 PM   #1 
labloverl

Is 10 gallons divided 3 ways too much?

I've been bitten by the betta bug and can't seem to get the idea of bringing home a flashy finned pet out of my mind. I don't want to spend any more money on filters and heaters to set up my 5 gallon, so that's why I'm wondering about my currently divided 10 gallon. The problem is that my original betta will have gone from 10 gallons, down to 5, and then down to 3. I divided it into 2 about 3 months ago, and he recently had a tail accident either with the filter or he bit it himself. So is it worth dividing again? Other than vac. a bit more, will the maintenance change any? I currently do a 50% water change once a week.
labloverl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 12:10 PM   #2 
tanseattle

This is what I got. The three white bars are divider. When I need to divide, I drop a plastic down. I also have both clear plastic and solid plastic. When I use both clear and solid plastic and remove the solid piece when I want them to flare (exercise).
tanseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 12:21 PM   #3 
lvandert

oh yeah you can divide the 10 3-way. I have one of those currently and I love it. My 3 boys are very happy in it.
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 12:26 PM   #4 
Ant10a

You definitely can! I will be doing so shortly as well! lol
Ant10a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 01:51 PM   #5 
labloverl

So will the 50% water change that I've been doing be enough?

Right now, I have a HOB filter on the right side. It can't move, so will filtration in the farthest section be a problem?
Old 08-11-2012, 05:02 PM   #6 
labloverl

Also, I plan on getting a VT. (I currently have a VT and a CT.) Would it be better to put my CT in the section with the filter instead of a VT. Will switching the fish I have now into different sections upset them? It would be like putting them into a whole new tank. I ask about this because the VT I have now has most of his tail missing. Not sure if he ate it, and I worry about stressing him out.
Old 08-11-2012, 05:06 PM   #7 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Put the strongest fish near the filter. So it's up to you which you think is strongest.
I don't think switching them around will bug them. If they have a favourite plant or something just move it with them.
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 05:09 PM   #8 
TuckerLove

I had 2 divided 10 gal tanks, divided 3 ways. The one tank was perfect, none of them were stressed out or anything. The 2nd one though wasnt so good. 2 of the 3 destroyed their fins in a matter of 2 days. As long as you watch them, and make sure they arent to stressed you should be fine. Make sure there are tons of plants and hiding places :)
TuckerLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 12:46 AM   #9 
labloverl

Okay, I'm pretty convinced to do it! I measured it out, and each section will be 6.5 inches across the front. All of my plants should easily be crammed in there to provide good coverage.

I just hope that I won't have to do more than one water change per week, and that the section farthest from the filter will have decent circulation.

I would love to see pics of 10 gallons divided 3 ways!
Old 08-12-2012, 01:44 AM   #10 
mursey

Location: formerly SF, then Tucson AZ, now central New Jersey
Ok, here is mine but FYI I have no substrate as you can see, but I will be adding it soon. (It's easy to vacuum with no substrate, but I am going to attempt to make some or all of my tanks planted, although I will be keeping some of my silly decorations as well.)

Hmm now it looks uneven. I had just moved the one divider but now it seems it's still "unfairly divided". That's ok, they are not glued there. I just tied hammocks to one of the dividers today.

Last edited by mursey; 08-12-2012 at 01:46 AM. Reason: photo upload problems
mursey is offline   Reply With Quote