Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-09-2012, 11:28 PM   #1 
jaclynjenkins22

Red face New to this website! Baby betta fish owner!

Hi! I'm new to this website. I got my baby betta fish unfortunately from Petco. (I know everyone seems to hate on them a lot.. but the baby's were too cute so I had to rescue at least one of them from being in those horrible small containers)

Anyways, as of right now I have it in this 1.6 hexagon tank http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...uctId=11907004

and she absolutely loves it! She already knows the sound of my voice and swims to the top when i feed her. she seems like a happy, healthy betta fish (which im so glad because i heard most bettas from pet stores usually are sick) she also sleeps and has a couple hiding spots in the plants i have for her.
(im taking a wild guess that its a girl by the lack of color... but she or he is still growing so we'll see)

but the thing i have a question on.. is that i've had her for about 2 weeks now and i've had the underground filtration system running constantly.. it didnt seem to bother her or her fins. but since i found this website tonight im second guessing myself and i shut it off completely now.. what should i do?

and her temperature is around 75 degrees.. which i now know is TOO COLD. if i raise the temperature will she adjust easily?
jaclynjenkins22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 12:45 AM   #2 
gossipgirl1031

Hi & welcome to the forum & to the wonderful world of betta ownership!

I've raised several of the babies to adults with pretty good success. I keep mine in unfiltered tanks when they are super tiny (I tend to pick the smallest ones-up for the challenge). But, everyone finds what works best for their fish. Eventually, they all do get moved to filtered tanks when they get a little bigger. They do like the warmer temps, but I'd move it gradually. My babies are heated to about 82 degrees.

Are you able to post a pic? I love seeing what everyone's babies look like :) I may even be able to give you a good guess at the gender. Only 1 or 2 have surprised me & turned out to be late blooming males.

Good Luck & Welcome! If you have questions, I'd be happy to supply what has been helpful to me.
gossipgirl1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 01:00 AM   #3 
jaclynjenkins22

Thank you for this advice!

I have a couple pictures.. but for some reason my iphone doesnt take very good pictures in my room so im sorry for the blurriness and the really bright colors! she or he is a pretty a pinkish redish color, and her colors are becoming more vibrant by the day! :)

p.s im planning to remove the under gravel filtration system tomorrow when i clean his/her tank!
Attached Images

Old 08-10-2012, 01:19 AM   #4 
WildFlower

You have a beautiful betta! It will be fun to see what he/she grows into. :)
WildFlower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 01:37 AM   #5 
jaclynjenkins22

Thank you! :)

And i know! I'm so excited to see what it becomes! I love waking up and looking at him/her everyday because I can see a difference in growth and its really interesting! I actually find myself spending a long time just staring/talking to Callie (which is her name.. hopefully its a girl because I named "her" after a greek goddess that means beautiful or beauty) She also loves my voice!
Old 08-10-2012, 02:38 AM   #6 
GreyHounD

I see that's a 2-3 month old betta

Great job on the save! I hope he gets to be paired right if you go advanced on betta's.

- Its a female in my perspective.
GreyHounD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 03:54 AM   #7 
KevinPham123

Should be proud you brought it home. The betta will live a much more happier life now.
KevinPham123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 05:44 AM   #8 
JackisLost

I have a baby too, mine is blue and I think it's a crowntail male now. The back fins are starting to branch out in pairs. I know what you mean about staring at them! The babies are so fun to watch!
JackisLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:34 AM   #9 
ravenwinds

Jackislost: you're correct on tail type and gender if he's your avatar....looks like a blue CT male with a red tie....I saw that expression on aquabid and thought it was one of the cutest name "red tie" :)

Hard to tell positively at her age, but I am guessing you have a cute baby girl...I'm not seeing a "tie"...
Oh, and welcome to the forum!
ravenwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:03 AM   #10 
ktlelia

What a CUTIE! It's crazy how they change and grow within days.
ktlelia is offline   Reply With Quote