Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-12-2012, 04:18 PM   #1 
kpinkey

Random questions...

Couple things I was hoping you guys could help me with..I've tried to talk to my local pet store, and they've basically just had me buy a bunch of things...all of which aren't working...

First...filters. I've always kept my bettas with no filter, and they've for the past 10 years, done really well. I was talked into buying no less then 4 filters now, and all of them seem to whirl pool my poor betta's around and are useless.

What is the general consensus on filters here? Needed, and if so...which one?

Second....one of my guys...after his filter experience started getting tail rot/fin rot, or something that started making his beautiful tail disappear. I have started treating him with Maracyn-oxy daily...been three days now...too soon to tell if working? Or do you guys recommend something else?

Third...I bought two fries at the local petco(I know it was a terrible decision and supported an awful practice, but it's done....) one of them is a male, grew really fast, beautiful colors easily four times the size he was when he started, active, eating, bubble nests, doing great. The second one I am assuming is a female, not really active, but has spurts, only double the size the other one is, and they started at the same size, was eating ok but always took the food in her mouth and then spit half it out (micro pellets). She originally was in a 6 gallon hexagon tank (again filter way too much for her). Temp was at 70 when I started noticing her behavior changes so I added a heater, got it up to 76-78F, ammonia levels negative, pH was normal(don't remember the number but it was in the green zone on the test strip. The rest of the test strip was ok too. I clean her water 1/2 tank changes weekly. Today I did a full tank change and put her in a 1 gallon tank...because....I noticed her swimming into things and then darting away like she didn't see they were there. When she was in the smaller tank she swam up to me in the front, but then clearly turned, and hit the plant head on, stopped for a half a second, then casually swam away....WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN? :-/

Last edited by kpinkey; 08-12-2012 at 04:20 PM.
kpinkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 04:46 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

Filters. Are they needed for Bettas? No. But are they highly recommended? Yes. Bettas are hardy fish and don't need filters like Goldfish or Oscars. Sorry about your suffering Bettas. You don't need a filter. It's just recommended. Having filters will start a cycle which takes a month to grow 2 special bacteria to eat up nitrite and ammonia. You could lessen the flow by blocking the input and output with an aquarium sponge. It'll make it easier for your Betta to swim. Sponge filters are the best for Bettas because they won't get sucked up and depending on your air pump, it'll produce little flow.

For fin rot, I highly suggest to use Aquarium Salt instead. I prefer to use the salts unless the illness is very severe. Treat him in a QT tank. Use the Aquarium Salt for only 10 days maximum and do daily 100% water changes. It's 1-2 teaspoons per gallon. Give the Betta high-protein foods such as live food or frozen foods to boost the protein intake and speed the growth of new tissue. I'm sorry the filter caused this. :/ That must suck.

Bettas are TROPICAL fish and thrive in temperatures in 78F-80F like their ancestors in Thailand. Being skittish and darting around is usually a sign of parasites or ammonia poisoning. Test strips aren't really a reliable source and it could be a total opposite of your results. Use a liquid test kit instead since it's pretty accurate and such. Take your water to the pet store and see if they can test it for you. See if they use a liquid test kit and if they do, listen to the results. Don't take in "The water's fine" Or "You're good to go". Ask for the actual readings and see what they are. Good luck with your female.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 05:41 PM   #3 
kpinkey

i'll try the aquarium salt, thank you! and change the water. I'll also check with a better testing kit.

And i guess I'm so worried about the skittish and darting around, but it seems like she's blind and can't see what she's bumping into and that's making her dart around....
Old 08-12-2012, 05:43 PM   #4 
LebronTheBetta

Your welcome. :) Bettas don't really dart around if they're blind. :( They usually get kinda blind when they're old. But the bumping into things makes more sense.
Old 08-12-2012, 05:57 PM   #5 
kpinkey

makes more sense for what? should i be worried she's blind or is she just bumping into things because she can? The darting only happens when she runs into something or even just brushes against something....like she didn't know it was there and startled her
Old 08-12-2012, 07:05 PM   #6 
LebronTheBetta

Because if she's blind, it makes sense for bumps. Being blind just means she'll need you to give her food up close. They'll sense vibrations so if you touch the water with your finger at feeding time, I think she'll know. There's a chance she's blind. :(